97 Mirror Problem

Within a 4 week period, I have had two mirror assemblies break on my 97 coupe. The problem seems to be with the spring detent that allows the mirror assembly to pivot if struck. First, on the drivers side, and 4 weeks later, the passenger side. In both occasions, there was no apparent cause or trauma that might have caused the problem. The car is kept in a garage, and nothing has struck or hit either of the mirror assemblies, they just suddenly were twisting freely. Has anyone else had a similar occurrence or have any ideas as to what may be causing my problems?

Reply to
H & A

You have a steel snapring riding in an aluminum groove, if it is rotated with any kind of regularity it will cut out the groove. I've seen some people rotate them to put them in the garage or to cover them. You don't need a traumatic incident to ruin the connection, just over use of a safety feature, they don't just twist freely for no reason.

Reply to
Dad