C5 Items Requiring Replacement

It might really be interesting to see that list of expenses, here's

> mine for the C5's and C6 listed as highest cost first. > 1998 C5 46k > gas > tires > BCM - not fun > oil > battery > 2004 C5 20k > gas > tires > oil - free > axle seal (RR) > 2005 C6 26k > gas > battery > oil - free > tires > hood strut > gas cap > rear hatch switch > > Actual out of warranty cost was for tires, a battery, and the BCM. > GM/dealer did replace one set of run flats that cupped badly. Cost of > Corsa's not included.

My 2001 6-Speed Coupe:

- Right headlight motor replaced (grinding)

- Two Delco AGM batteries replace by dealer. One failed at the airport drop off area and the police towed it to dealer. No warning it just crapped out.

- Two alternators replaced as they could not charge the AGM battery.

- At 11K miles Engine using way too much oil (1 quart ever 500 miles) and was in the queue for a ring replacement when I got in a 10-inch in five minute rain storm and hydro locked the engine. The insurance company replaced the whole engine with a new ($14K) 2002 engine that came with the factory ring fix. Never use any oil with the new engine.

- Radio display failed and was replaced by the dealer

- Drive door speaker replaced (rattling and static)

- Emergency Flasher failed causing turn signal problems

- Rocking driver seat repaired

- Left headlight motor replaced (grinding)

- Numerous Pull Key and Wait ten minute error messages. Turned out to be a bad key that was replaced and solved the problem

- Trashed the Delco AGM when it died and replaced it with Wall Mart Everlast. No problems at all with the Everlast

- Daytime Running Light (Lamps) had to replace more than once and it was not easy/

- AC compressor and belt pulley.

- Left headlight motor replaced (grinding) again 2nd time

- Key fob quit and was replaced.

- Passenger side AC temp control replaced- it never really worked

- Had to have the passenger seat repaired due to cracks

- Two wheel pressure sensors failed and required replacement

- The dumb column lock did its thing in my garage and the wrecker service refused to tow the vehicle. The dealer's guy had to come to my home to unlock and replace the motor. Two weeks before it was in for the lame GM recall the only reprogrammed the computer to shut off the fuel flow.

- Passenger side power window motor failed and had to be replaced

- Tires but they were replaced due to normal wear

- Windshield wiper blades (several times)

- Numerous Service Anti Lock Brakes and Active Handling errors. All the dealer ever did was to reset the codes. The never really fixed the problem. When I get the warning now I reset the codes.

- The hand brake never really worked and needs to be replaced to pass the next state safety inspection.

- CD Disc carrier stuck in the 12-Disc CD player. Fixed by pulling the power to reset.

This is all I can think of at this time.

Reply to
aRKay

Thanks for taking the time to write a fair feed back, strange how different cars we know are built in the same place by the same people can perform so differently. I might add that they reprogrammed the '98 to eliminate the column lock, never said anything to me, just did it.

Reply to
Dad

Did your 98 have an automatic or 6-speed. The recall fixed the vehicles with automatics by removing the column lock plate. They could not do this to 6-speed vehicles as they do not have the transmission lock. All they did to mine was reprogram it to shut off the fuel if the column lock failed.

aRKay

Reply to
aRKay

I had the 4 speed automatic and they never opened the dash, just reprogrammed it to stop the locking action. One day listening to people on here complain about the lock failing I went out to the garage and tried to turn the steering wheel, no lock. Ask them about it and they told me that they had changed the program and my front seat cover on the free oil change they offered to get me to come back in long after I bought the car. In the past I seldom would return a car to the dealer for anything, my distrust kept telling me they promoted some failures to generate income. My seat cover was not worn or an issue to me and I never noticed the change as it has a zipper to make it quick. Been dealing in the same dealership since 1956 and 3 different owners with 10,000,000 different service managers, last 2 were women, now have an old time employee that I've always gotten along with.

After that I learned that there is a site that allows you to enter your serial number and check what has been done on your GM car. You'd be surprised what they change, recalibrate, and update without you ever being aware. Haven't used it in some time but

should get you there. Last time I checked they seem preoccupied with new calibrations to minimize the P0604 code, Fuel Level Sensor /Control Module Random Access Memory, P0336 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor A Performance, and P2068 Fuel Level Sensor 2 Circuit High Voltage on the C6. Hope that helps.........

Reply to
Dad

When you turn off the key, do you hear the column lock motor doing its thing?

Reply to
aRKay

Very interesting...... here is what 'they' said they did to my 6-speed for the column lock

-----------------

12593358 - Operating system

New software to correct fuel disable feature not functioning after a battery disconnect or BCM loss of communication. Per Product Safety Campaign 04006A. Replaces 12202088, 12212156 and 12221588.

-----------------

It locked up big time a few weeks later and they had to send someone to my home to unlock the thing because the wrecker sent by GM refused to tow the car. He could not get it out of the garage.

The automatic fix disables the column lock but they are not allowed to disable a 6-speed.

Reply to
aRKay

Nope, no sound that I would call a column lock, just a few time out relays that drop and yes, it does have the lock. My car does not have an ignition key, just an on/off/accessory switch.

Reply to
Dad

Interesting, the '05 has 2 1/2 pages of reprogramming and tweaks. BUT, mine is one of the freaks that has to have the transmission in reverse or the battery will go dead, so they corrected that by not letting you out until it is. I make anyone that rides with me aware that if something happens that I'm dead or otherwise not able to pay taxes anymore and the damn thing is on fire that they must put it in reverse or use the emergency door release to get out. Hopefully they will remember something that uncommon during a highly stressful event.

Reply to
Dad

01 convertible purchased 12/6 141,196 miles later Gas Tires oil K&N @20,000

@ 100,000 mile - shocks to blistein new belt - maintenance Brake rotors and pads to slotted- rotors were not necessary just upgrades

12 disc changer in trunk

110,000 left headlight motor

120,000 right headlight motor

130,000 replaced black plastic valve covers with red ones PVC valve @ hose

135,000 right front turn signal socket and bulb

planned this year- new top and seat covers

Reply to
Kickstart

Did you see my posting on the 12 disc changer?

Reply to
aRKay

pulled the power to reset ? Couldn't help. Had a new one installed.

kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart