96 C4 Cruise Not working

The Cruise on my 96 never worked when I purchased it and I need to get this thing fixed. I turn the switch on but nothing, is there a dash light that should come on wether you are driving or not? I checked the fuse and it was blown, replaced it and still nothing. I'm thinking it may be the module but I cannot locate it(my first vette). Any ideas would be appreciated. I've read the threads about the vacum lines and didn't even bother to check them yet.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
dsopata

Along with the 'vette, a Factory Service Manual (fsm, alias "Helm manual") is a good idea. Check eBay or order from .

C4 cruise control doesn't resemble that in other GM cars. Early C4s had it integrated into the dash display along with the signals to and from the engine control module -- '96 is probably somewhat different. The '96 FSM will give you all the circuitry, troubleshooting 'trees' and test measurements. Even if you don't do the work yourself, the info will help your mechanic fix the problem.

Here's one for less than $ 60 -- a bargain: <

or <

-- pj

Reply to
PJ

This is a complex system that requires an electrical schematics to diagnose correctly. Some simple things to check, which you have already started, if these are ok than you may need a professional to fix it. Check the fuse, the power, and continuity at the vacuum pod switch and the 2 part brake light switch behind the brake pedal. Get a friend with a similar model to compare it's operation to yours. My guess would be vacuum.

Last but not the least important, check to see if the CHMSL (center high mounted stop light, third brake lights) are working. Seems the cruise circuit uses the CHMSL bulbs for a ground or at least part of the circuit, if one is out the cruise control won't engage in some cases.

Reply to
Dad

my 96 never worked when I purchased it and I need to

OK thanks but is there a light of some sort that should come on and if there is will it come on when the switch is in the on position or does the vehicle have to be moving for the light to come on?

Reply to
dsopata

I have no idea, it has been 10 years since I've driven a C4. The C5 and 6 has a message in the DIC that says "Cruise set XXX" and then goes out.

Reply to
Dad

no, there is no light or any other indication that it is in operation besides the gas pedal going up and down.

Reply to
charlie

news: snipped-for-privacy@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...> The Cruise on my 96 never worked when I purchased it and I need to

I had the same problem and it was just the vacuum line. My troubleshooting training has always been to check the cheapest, easiest thing first. Rob

Reply to
Scubabix