C5 running temperature

I just had a radiator split on me and bought and installed a new one and am checking over the work the temperature seems to be 210 to 226 at idle running in a garage that seems to be a little high to me can anyone let me know there thoughts on this and what is the stock thermostat supposed to be

190, 195???

Thanx to all

Reply to
ZÿRiX

I took it out and drove it a little bit and something seems wrong it runs about 215 but then sitting at a light it hits 225, 230 then I take off and it drops down to about 205 then up to 215 and stays there....

Reply to
ZÿRiX

Curious mostly, what temperature was the car running at before you had the problem and replaced the radiator?

Reply to
BDragon

about the same except the sitting temp that is hotter then before it gave me a low coolant alarm but it is not low and when the radiator split I did not overheat it so I did no damage to the engine when the sitting temp hit 230 last night I turned on the heater to help cool the water I do not want to hurt the engine so the sitting idle temp might be even higher thanx for any help

oh and by the way the coolant I used is DEX-Cool a 50/50 mixture of water and dex

Reply to
ZÿRiX

Running temp is about right and the low coolant message can be triggered if it is sitting on an incline, very senative. Make sure you don't have an air bubble if you can.

Reply to
Dad

Zyrix- I feel your pain. I have Dexcool in one of my C5's and reg. green styff in the other. The Dexcool car is a stock C5 (mostly) it acts the same as your car does.

215-225 maybe even 230 degrees but then the fans kick in and bring it down. Running the heater in the summer time isn't fun but I have felt the need to do that when stuck in traffic a few times. The other car, has an ATI blower. Which means that the radiator fans have been nixed in lieu of one larger fan. This is the car running the green stuff. By all rights, it should run hotter.. less fan, more HP. It doesn't it sits at 212. (it has a 165 degree thermostat in it but I attribute the "coolness" to the ethelene glycol based green coolant)

I did some looking around on the net.. seems like dexcool is known to break down and gum up. If it does this.. I can see it clogging various veins in the block, radiator, thermostat, etc. If I were you, I'd flush out the cooling system. I'm not sure on this, but I think a mechanic may have a pressurized way of doing this rather than filling up your car with hose water, runnning it for 15 minutes, flushing, repeat, 'till you're blue in the face.. good luck.

-Stan

Reply to
sbright

Listen to Dad. I think he's on the right track. A trapped air bubble isn't all that hard to come by and unless the system is leaking coolant, the bubble may not be purged.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Funk

I tried to read that page but that Snoop Dog ad gave me a seizure.. lol As if he wasn't irritating enough..I need a strobe on my pc screen. If the antifreeze is more fly..then you must buy..

-Stan

Reply to
sbright

How would you go about finding a bubble?

Reply to
sbright

With the C4s you have bleeder valves near the t-stat housing and on the throttle body. You crack these bleeders til coolant weeps out in a continuous stream. Some areas in the cooling system are higher than the fill tank neck, hence the necessity of the bleeders... I wouldn't be surprised if the C5 has bleeders also.

But if you Dad just just shake your cane at it and cuss under your breath til the bubble can't take any more and just leaves. ;-) hehehe

sbright wrote:

Reply to
RicSeyler