C6 Battery Question

Hey All. I recently purchased a 2005 Vette and I had some strange happenings the last couple of days. Yesterday for no reason at all the climate control switched from Fahrenheit to Celcius. After the car was re-started I noticed that it was back to Fahrenheit. Then this morning it gave me an alert that one of my tires was low and it wasn't. Then about an hour ago I went to the store and when I got back in the car (it opened fine with the fob) it wouldn't start, windows and doors wouldn't open or seal after closing, etc. Then I opened the hood. The light under the hood was nice and bright. Then the car started. I drove it home and started it a couple of times and it started fine. I took a look at the battery and can't find a date on it. I also took a reading with my meter while running and got 13.8 volts and not running and got 12.57 volts which seems normal. Has anyone had any experience with this? Do you think its worth just replacing the battery? Thanks all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
derch

Look for a loose or corroded ground on the frame rails and then start checking for other loose or corroded connectors. It most likely is not a battery issue.

Reply to
Dad

Damn near the same story on my C5.

Agree with Dad. Intermittent bad connection. Had similar issue with the C5 a couple of months ago. DIC would intermittently reset got strange warnings etc., no start occasionally etc.

Several years ago a broken battery terminal had allowed acid to ooze into the positive battery cable connector and, over time, it had done a number on the wire inside the cable insulation. (nothing visible to the eye -- found it when I started to unscrew the positive connector to the battery -- the lights came on, literally and figuratively. :)

Reply to
pj

GM made a half ass try at correcting that problem by going back to a top post battery on the C6. It has a connector that can't be over tightened by the monkeys, oops, mechanics, shade tree or otherwise.

The problem still is that they left the bundle of wires to the computer under the battery to catch any battery acid that may come their way. That being said it still reeks of a loose/bad connection including the grounds.

Reply to
Dad

Been years since I had something like this happen. 40 years ago on a 64 3.8 XKE Jaguar I had similar intermittant electrical problems with a "sulfated" ground. Of course, that was back in the era of generators, voltage regulators (no electronics) and the usual flaky Lucas electrics. By comparison, the first Vette I owned (a 69) was a paragon of reliablity when compared with the Jag. Back then I found mysefl wishing I had bought a Vette instead.

Reply to
tww1491

pj
.

Back then I wanted a steel blue 67 XKE convertible, but they were a couple of thousand more than a vette. I bought an Elkhart Blue (steel blue) 67 corvette instead. My Navy buddy had an XKE. One night we were at a party and he and his wife were having a fight (later were divorced) and both stormed out of the party and got into their cars. She revved hers up and slammed into his XKE - he backed up and slammed into her - and this went on until the cars would not run and tow trucks were called. His dad owned a big company up north and he had more money than he knew what to do with. Never forget that night - I think they both couldn't remember.

Reply to
Drake_893

Back then I wanted a steel blue 67 XKE convertible, but they were a couple of thousand more than a vette. I bought an Elkhart Blue (steel blue) 67 corvette instead. My Navy buddy had an XKE. One night we were at a party and he and his wife were having a fight (later were divorced) and both stormed out of the party and got into their cars. She revved hers up and slammed into his XKE - he backed up and slammed into her - and this went on until the cars would not run and tow trucks were called. His dad owned a big company up north and he had more money than he knew what to do with. Never forget that night - I think they both couldn't remember.

I bought my 64 used.. Was a red/maroon roadster. The 67 was a better car --

42ltr 6 and a better transmission . The older E type had the same transmission the older XK 120/140/150 which took a degree of skill to drive with grinding the gears on a shift. Drove a friend's 1954 XK 120 at the time and felt right at home (with the transmission). I was stationed in Laredo TX at the time -- and the E model could not make it through town without boiling the radiator over in the middle of Summer. It had a great sound and handled well with the Goodyear Bluestreaks I had on it. I traded the XKE after a year of frustration on a Sunbeam Tiger -- had a Ford 260 V8 with a Ford 4 speed. Had a few Shelby mods on it -- ran very well indeed. But, if I had to do it again -- a Vette would have been a better decision.
Reply to
tww1491

The joys of owning a Corvette.

No wonder GM is out of business!