C6 OEM Rear Wheel

I called Chevrolet when I was considering getting a new rear wheel, and their price is $648.05. This is for the standard 19" x 10" grey painted (powder coated?) wheel. Then I called some of the aftermarket parts suppliers and it appears that they don't carry this one, only custom chrome wheels. I've also heard that the auto salvagers, knowing what Chevy charges, charge almost the same. So for future reference, does anyone have any ideas or know of a supplier where the prices would be more reasonable?

P.S. I cut a corner too close and scraped the very outer edge of the rim, about 3/16" x 5". But when I showed it to someone who runs a powder coating shop, he smoothed and polished it with a hand buffer, and now it looks like new. A bit of the metal shows through at the edge to which I might apply some clear nail polish to further blend the metal and paint.

Reply to
Frank M.

Get some Dupli-Color code number T488 GMC truck and suv pewter and their clear lacquer. If it is smooth enough for your tastes dust it on with a mask to keep it only in the damaged part. It should be clean and etched if possible. Do not put masking tape on to control the area to be covered, use a mask about 1/4 inch above the surface so it will not leave an edge. Remember, dust it on with the spray nozzle about

12" or more above the surface being painted. You can apply a number of coats and wet sand it out smooth with 400/600 paper. Note, this will match the Z06 C5 wheels and I was guessing that it is close enough to do the C6 painted wheels, if not try another color until it is to your liking. When you're done put on a wet coat of clear.

You can also fix the rim by putting a bead of epoxy on the aluminum and sanding it to contour and the paint will hold better than it will on the aluminum. Use a flat file to keep the rim close to the same shape. I've done it so I know it works, don't ask.

Reply to
Dad

Dad, Thanks for your reply and sharing your experience. It sounds a bit ambitious for me, but I'll print out your reply and keep reading it to fully understand the steps and what I may run into. Then I might psych myself enough to actually do it. Thanks again.

Reply to
Frank M.

Not as hard as I may have made it sound, tried to cover many details all at once. Look at it like you're going to stencil on a silver eyebrow onto the wheel. The lacquer is very forgiving and you can sand out your errors with ease, or just wipe it off with lacquer thinner. Those mistakes will also give you some insight into how to get the finish to look like you want it when you're done. Take the wheel off; put it on a bench with good light; and have at it, it will surprise you how easy it can be done.

Reply to
Dad

Try emailing Bob at snipped-for-privacy@fichtnerchevrolet.com for a bettter price on GM parts. Or Gene at

For salvagers, try

I called Chevrolet when I was considering getting a new rear wheel,

Reply to
LDaVinci

I found a T408 pewter but not the T488. Are you sure of the number? Unfortunately, they were temporarily out of stock of the T408, so I couldn't judge how close the color was.

Reply to
Frank M.