Powder coated Hinges

Hello I have a 97 TJ and have rust on the hinges. I have tried repainting them but the salty roads just make the rust come back. I want to replace them with something powder coated to resist the rust. I want something black, as the jeep is white so chrome looks tacky. The only ones I can find for TJ FULL DOORS are Kentrol sold at Quadratec among other places. These seem to be high quality, but come at a premium price.

Does anyone know any place where I can find cheap (preferably powder coated) hinges?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
97tjMike

The powder coating on my Tomken bumper looked very nice when new, but came bubbliing up from rust after only six years. I really don't think that's long enough, considering what I paid for the bumper and the hype they gave the powder coating.

Paint would stick better to your hinges if you used a suitable primer. The stock hinges are probably the best ones you will ever see, but Kentrol is not bad. What I would do, is take off all the hinges, soak them in paint remover, rinse and dry completely, and hit with Rust-Oleum primer and paint. Now if you insist on powder coating, I'll bet you can find a local shop to do it for you too. Matching the white on your Jeep is going to be a problem. One Jeep owner in Seattle got all his hardware gold plated...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Are you sure this is not rust coming from inside the hinge? If you do not lubricate them VERT regularly, no matter how you paint them rust will run from the actual inner working part. Also, you are wearing away metal due to lack of maintenance.

Motorcycle chain lube spray works well for this because it goes on wet, penetrates and then drys.

Reply to
Highcountry

Yep, I like Chain Wax.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

Powder coating is not going to last much longer than properly applied paint, unless the powder coater uses a zinc powder base coat for corrosion resistance. Even then, if the surface is not prepped properly, the rust will show up sooner than you expect. If you are going with powder coated pieces, make sure they are using the base coat. I doubt most of the suppliers are. You might be better off to get your existing hinges redone in powder from a competent coater and specify that you want the zinc base coat topped with your color of choice.

Chris

I had some kentrol stuff on my jeep. Hood hinges, air intake cover and hood latches. Pure junk. Stay with the OEM stuff and have it refinished or do it yourself. Do what Earl says about painting and you'll be good to go. Whatever you do, don't use aftermarket stuff. Most of it is crap. I have to agree with Mike (highcountry) about lube. Keep them clean and lubed and you should be good.

Reply to
Rich

hmm maybe in the spring I'll try painting them. i'll paint them black and then matching the white won't be an issue. thanks for the advice everyone!

Reply to
97tjMike