My Alloy Wheel!

I got too close to the curb and marred about 1 inch of the rear passenger side alloy rim on my '03 Legacy L SE Wagon. I managed to clean it off with some sandpaper so that it's almost impossible to notice now. I also plan to put some silver touch up paint in the area because the clear coat is obviously gone. Is there anything else I can do for the wheel? Will rust be a problem in the future? Thanks.

Reply to
ricardox

Ummmm.....last time I checked, aluminum doesn't rust

Reply to
null_pointer

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:57:37 -0700, "ricardox" scribbled:

Err... It's Aluminum Alloy. Hence the name 'Alloy wheels'. Alloys don't rust ;-).

-- Phillip Weston Taumarunui, New Zealand

Phillip Weston

However various alloys react to road salt and the corrosive action of brake dust and will pit. Put a coat of wax on the area you repaired. This should act as a temporary barrier.

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

Alloy will corrode without protection. As long as you've got paint on it you should be ok. If there was just clear coat on it before then here's what you do.

  1. Sand it with 2000 grit paper to get out the scrapes
  2. Use a metal polish to shine it up
  3. Clean it real good
  4. Clear coat it. I did this > I got too close to the curb and marred about 1 inch of the rear passenger
Reply to
null

Reply to
Fred