wax vs polish classic saab

o.k. I have a boss that sez he has been using a product called nu finish on his cars and loves it. nu finish is a polish and not a wax. so i decided over this last long weekend (at least in the states) i would try this on my grey 1985 saab.

I first washed the car and then applied a product called liquid clay bar. washed all of this off then dryed and applied nu finish wax. then rubbed off. I was disappointed in the results.

I then reapplied liquid clay bar. and then applied a turtle wax product. turtle wax had carnauba blend in it. was much happier with wax results vs polish.

all of this was done by hand and in the shade of a tree. tempature ranging from about 80 to 90 degrees f. all done during the same day.

does anyone have any input on polish vs wax on older/newer cars? and should i have used a power buffer when i used polish? maybe put a coat of polish on first and then wax???

thanks rod

Reply to
Rod

Good products too.

Frank /~

@/

Reply to
Frank Vuotto

thanks for the link. i am finding some very useful information.

rod

Reply to
Rod

Even better link:

Lots of FAQ's, the owners are detailing fanatics, working from a visual to a scientific level. You can email them for personal answers.

Reply to
still me

another informative web site. thanks

rod

Reply to
Rod

Polish is different to wax - the processes achieve different results. I like to polish and then apply a really good wax (I use Collinite

476S on my C900). The wax can then be "topped up" after each wash without the need of polishing. If you want to re-polish, say, to get some swirls out, you need to remove the wax with an aggressive wash first.

Now my cars are gleaming, I just spray a hose over them each week and the dirt falls off. A light hand wash with Meg's Gold Class shampoo and water, then top up the Collinite wax.

Reply to
PJGH