Finding a short

IS there an easy way to find a short. The battery in my Vette dies on me every couple of days. Ive started with the things that don't work in the car IE: Volt meter, (Was shorted to ground) Clock, assorted warning lights everything I checked other that the volt meter checked good. Then I found the windshield wiper motor, Or should I say the first 4 layers of skin on my forearm found it!! Oh it was hot! I figured I had my electrical problem licked I pulled the plug got a big spark and ohmed through the wiper switch which was bad. That was Saturday I went to drive her today and it was dead again. This time the battery was toast from being jumped so many times Is there an easy way to find a short? The battery does spark pretty good when connected Thats why I think I still have a problem. Does anyone know any common problems with the 76 Vette?

I posted this on another site and got some good info Here is a couple things I found so far - The courtesy light in the storage area is ALWAYS on - When I replaced my headlight switch (for a vacuum issue) I noticed a corner of the plug was melted and black

Is there a relay for the wipers thats still getting power? I never pulled the fuse, Im going to dig deeper in the morning

Thanks Jamie

begin 666 mad.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`-4_`/_XH=++?M7/@.;?BO'JD=_8AO_[Q__WG?_\U?_XI\?! M=__YL?_\W/_\V?_YM?_ZO?_XHO_YL/_[ MRO_XJ_OSEN':A__XIO3MD__ZP/_ZPO[VF/_WF?_\V/_[R?_[QO_ZO/_X MJL*\=>_HD/_YM/OSE^KCC.GBC-3-?__\T_;ND^CAB__XH_'ID-G2@OWUF/_[ MSOCPE=[7A>/

Reply to
Jamie

On my 72 Vette, there was a burglar alarm behind the passenger's seat that would beep a horn near the gas tank. I don't know if the 76 still had one but it may be a place to look.

You may have a bad battery that won't hold a charge or maybe your alternator isn't charging?

You can measure the current from the positive battery lead when everything is shut off then start pulling the fuses one by one. When the right fuse is pulled, the current should drop to nothing.

amie wrote:

Reply to
Eugene Blanchard