finding short circuit

the fuse for the circuit powering the tach oil & temp gauge in my 94 has blown three times this week. any hints as to where to look first to try and find the short would be greatly appreciated.

on the plus side, i've gotten pretty good at replacing the fuse by touch.

-------- "any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"

Reply to
barry

I'd be looking for sharp edges that the wiring passes over, or is bundled and clamped to. Unfortunately, most are under the dash.

Reply to
Chuck

Just curious but do you lose your dash lights also? I tied power for my mp3 player into the power antenna connector in the trunk and whenever I'd turn on the lights I'd lose all my guages. Ephar & Bambi '92 Classic Red 'A'

Reply to
Ephar

no, just the gauge cluster

that seems like an odd choice for your power source, assuming that you've got a switch that powers up said unit (and it's not a big deal to run a wire from the stereo unit to the trunk) and you can tap right into the battery (with a fuse in between, of course)...

-------- "any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"

Reply to
barry

went and got a wiring schematic but never could find the problem. at first i thought it might have been an aftermarket alarm that was added and subsequently removed. but i split out the circuits for the gauges and put them on their own fuse. so now if the fuse blows i'll only lose the turn signals (no rear defogger, etc.) and i can still use hand signals. i was going to split out the turn signals also, but the wiring is different than most cars that split out the power for turn signals and the emergency blinkers. if i lose the gauges now, i can concentrate on that wiring.

one casuality though, the brittleness of the plastic combined with a recalcitrant clip caused a part of the meter hood to break off. but it's patched with a symmetric piece to make it look like part of the hood design.