GM, Ford, Chrysler and the Superbowl

Did anyone notice the conspicuous absence of American car commercials during the SuperBowl (I know what your thinking, american car commercials are non existent in general). I saw great Altima commercials, no Corvette commercials however. OK maybe the Corvette is a poor choice because it sells it self but really! When will the American Auto Manufacturer realize that to sell cars they have to SELL CARS! What are they using those Billions of tax dollars for? Planes and bonuses? THEY HAVE TO SELL CARS!

Reply to
Tobias_Brathwaite

Nope. Corvette sales tanked. Down almost 60%. LOTS of inventory.

but

expensive commercials don't always translate into more sales.

swell time for you to buy a Corvette and keep the economy moving!

Reply to
ACAR

We had two Caddie commercials. CTS and Escalade Hybrid. Possibly regionals in just SoCal.

Our local Pontiac-Dodge-Mazda dealer ran a Mazda commercial during a station break. (Remember the days when a GM dealer would be strung-up if he even considered taking on a non-GM brand?)

Main pitch to Joe Sixpack was the Hyundai 'risk sharing' commercial. Message repeated twice with different model each time.

I'd guess that unemployed-Joe gets out from under the payments by sacrificing any equity. Then, winds up without wheels.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

"expensive commercials don't always translate into more sales."

Really? Well no care commercials translate to no sales at all! No?

Reply to
Tobias_Brathwaite

I can only assume that those were regional and how does a GM dealer sell Mazda? Weren't they owned by Ford? The fact that there were no American car commercials made it to the news here in NYC.

Reply to
Tobias_Brathwaite

Here it is: Pontiac, Mazda and Dodge -- all under one roof!

They only ran Mazda clips during the Superbowl station breaks.

-- pj

Tobias snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
pj

I think the boy is out of touch, our Ford dealer now sells GM products. I live close enough to Detroit that we had automotive ads. On the other hand he lives in or near NYC and they didn't advertise taxies for sale as far as I know.

Reply to
Dad

------------- My experience:

Over the last six weeks it's the most aggressive direct marketing I've ever seen from GM.

It seems targeted to existing owners rather than trying to attract new buyers to the marque(s). They are using both sales and service contact data as well as past financing info. I'm getting both email and snail mail a couple of times a month. One phone call from a Corvette saleswoman, followed-up on an email. Nice because she started the call by asking if I had a few moments to talk about a test drive. (my time was more important than hers -- neat concept!)

They are sharing information. The 'vette sales gal asked if I, "was still with xxxx credit union" and offered to get a pre-approval for me if I'd make a date to drive a C7. (I've never had a 'cold-canvas' offer to test drive a 'vette before!)

Someone has caught on: When there are no prospects in the showroom, it's good to do some outreach.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

There's a dealer here that sells all of these:

Ford, Mazda, Audi, VW, Mercedes, Pontiac, and GMC trucks. Two separate locations though.

AJM '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

That's what happens in those big cities, the closest tin car sales around here is 50 miles away. Turn left at the first corn field and watch out for the horse and buggies.

Reply to
Dad