Hey Uncle Vito -- try this

GM at work:

<

And we'll do it with a low parts count, two valves per cylinder, pushrods and less power wasted in DOHC.

-- pj

Sophisticated engines are like sophisticated people --- they don't have to work.

Reply to
pj

I am impressed. GM does have some great technology going.

I did read that their process emits less CO2 and uses less water then the typical process of converting corn to ethanol.

If you recall, there is a question as to whether the corn to ethanol process typically used is actually more resource efficient than burning ordinary gasoline. The classical method uses lots of water, energy and emits quite a bit of CO2 such that it is no longer the 'perfect' fuel. Coskataenergy, if what it claims is correct, seems to be preferable to classic means of generating ethanol.

Ethanol from corn makes all the midwest farmers rich. What kind of pickups do they own. Likely many GM pickups. Won't GM piss these customers off by helping generate ethanol from trash rather than the corn that these farmers produce.

We will see how dedicated GM is in antagonizing these customers. I suspect a political motive here. Also, why would GM get into the ethanl production business anyway. Ethanol is ethanol and all GM needs to do is build cars to use it. You could say that they are helping along a technology that will make ethanol for less money then is now possible. This would allow folks to want ethanol powered cars since the fuel is so much cheaper than fuel can be had now.

Here in California, we cannot buy ethanol powered vehicles since E85 is not available. I suspect that it does not meet the clean air standards of this state.

I am rooting for GM's fuel cell technology. With that, of course, there is no IC engine, only a motor.

Later

Vito

Uncle_vito