How to get the alternator pulley nut off?

'87 'vette. 28K miles and the alternator gremlin has gotten me.

What the trick to get the alternator pulley nut off?

I put a socket on the nut, and an allen wrench through the hole oin the socket in to the hex hole in the end of the shaft. Then grabbed the angled part part of the allen wrench with a 15" crescent wrench, and put a big pipe wrench on the socket. All that happened was that the allen wrench acted as a torsion bar.

It sure looks like it is a normal (lefty loosey) thread.

Chuck Tribolet

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

Well, I had a beer, tried again, and it came right off.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

Info for next time........rattlegun :)

cheers Jim

Reply to
rodent

try using a 'belt' on the pully, under tension, to keep the pully from moving while you try to loosen the nut, 'tap' the wrench with a hammer or mallet ( works sorta like an impact ) and IF your lucky it should come off

Reply to
labtech1

You mean an impact wrench? What keeps it from just spinning the whole inside of the alternator?

If I had to do it over again, I'd leave the alternator on the car (just to have something to hold it), and use a long 8mm Allen socket to hold the shaft, and the pipe wrench on the socket for the nut. Kinda chewed up the socket, but that's OK.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

Friction and the weight of the armature, I've done quite a few and spinning has never been a problem :)

cheers Jim

Reply to
rodent