need help with no heat!

My wife's 89 convertible vette doesn't have heat, the heater hoses under hood to & from the heater core are red hot/ the dampers on the inside swaps to all the right positions and the a/c works fine when adjusting temps. The heat isn't hot but it isn't as cold as 31 degress outside, i read on old post it maybe the temp sensor? No idea where it's at or what it looks like, I could use some help!! My wife is threating for a new car. thanks, Dave.

Reply to
corvette$dave

Only thing that comes to mind, if the hoses are hot, would be the heater core itself might be plugged with dirt, leaves etc thus allowing no air to pass through it.

Reply to
labtech1

corvette$dave, wrote the following at or about 12/8/2006 10:52 AM:

Have the same problem on my '94. Still haven't figured it out but I'm moving in that direction.

I found that my A/C compressor was ALWAYS running, thus it was cooling that heated air. Get yours up to running temperature, with the system calling for heat. Pop the hood and see if that compressor's running. If it is, disconnect the lead to the clutch and turn off the compressor.

See what happens and what comes out of the heater vents. Worked for me but still haven't figured out exactly what's going on. The compressor CAN'T be meant to run ALL the time, can it? I understand it's needed for defrosting but this sucker NEVER shuts off unless, IIRC, the climate control system is in the Off position.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I seem to remember replacing the temp control unit on my C4 in order to get heat..I think it is in the heater hose line under the hood near the pass side..Also as I rember it is rather expensive...but easy to replace..don't you have a shop manual..??????? With a Vette as old as yours it would be a good investment..Meanwhile tell you wife to wear warm cloths and gloves ...and suck it up ...NO NEW CAR....wives are replaceable not all Vettes are.

Reply to
Lone Wolf

Tell me, do your vette have electronic controls? If so, I found after flushing out the core, making sore air supply was good, I put in a "good used" controler and ... instant heat. Good Luck

Reply to
Russty17