How to remove the power steering pulley...

... on my 93 F-150. There is a 3/8 hex hole in the center of the hub but it's not clear that the hub and the part with the hex drive are separate. The pulley is plastic so I can't hold that. I'd appreciate some input.

Al

Reply to
yzfoot

Forget the 3/8 hex, it has nothing to do with R & R of the pulley.

You need a tool like this one

aarcuda69062

Thanks, I appreciate the information. It turns out a local Murray's auto will loan me one of those overnite.

aarcuda69062 wrote:

Reply to
yzfoot

OK got the tool. I haven't tried the r & r yet. It looks like the 3/8 hex drive part needs to come off. Impact wrench on the 3/8 drive & strap wrench on the pulley ?? Anyone done this before ?

Reply to
yzfoot

Alright, now I've looked, it's straightforward. For future reference : the 3/8 hex drive is simply the unside of the shaft, nothing to do with the R &R like the guy said. The pulley is a press fit on the shaft. The puller attaches to the collar on the pulley for removal. For re-install the shaft is threaded inside and the tool is used to press it back together.

yzfoot wrote:

Reply to
yzfoot