how to tighten tie rod nut

I installed a rear camber kit on my accord and when I try to tighten the tie rod nut, the tie rod stud rotates along with the nut. Is this normal for the stud to turn and Is an impact wrench needed to do the job? Thanks

Reply to
joe

I would imagine there's a flat spot on the tie rod ... hold it with an open ended wrench or adjustable.

jw

Reply to
J999w

There should be a way to hold the stud while you tighten the nut. I know because the same thing is happening to me with sway bar links. My links have an internal allen socket ends on the end of the stud shafts. Your tie rods probably have solid ends on the studs which would mean you would use a suitably sized socket along with a box wrench for the nut.

My brand new sway bar links the stud began rotating on me so I think it would be normal for that to happen. It's preferable to not use an impact wrench and instead do as suggested.

Reply to
roger

Smack the tie rod with a hammer (lightly) to force it into the chamfered hold. That should hold it tight enough to tighten the nut.

Best way is to put it on with an impact wrench.

Good Luck

Reply to
Dave in Columbus

Thanks Dave...Smacking the tie rod forced it into the hole and was able to tighten the nut. You the man.

Joe

Reply to
joe

You're welcome. Glad I could help.