HUD polarization ???

Any word from him Dad? Do you happen to know if he's okay?

Reply to
StingRay

I couldn't say other than he said he was dealing with some issues and I took it that he didn't want to share any more than that. I just hope everything is going well and that it will allow him to join us again soon.

Reply to
Dad

I'm with you there Dad. Diode, if you're out there, drop us a note please. We're thinking of you man!

Reply to
StingRay

Reply to
Pappy

No it isn't it uses Liquid Crystals:

An LCD panel is made up of two pieces of polarized glass. A special polymer that creates microscopic grooves in the surface is rubbed on the side of the glass that does not have the polarizing film on it. The grooves must be in the same direction as the polarizing film. You then add a coating of nematic liquid crystals to one of the filters. The grooves will cause the first layer of molecules to align with the filter's orientation. Then add the second piece of glass with the polarizing film at a right angle to the first piece. Each successive layer of TN molecules will gradually twist until the uppermost layer is at a 90-degree angle to the bottom, matching the polarized glass filters.

As light strikes the first filter, it is polarized. The molecules in each layer then guide the light they receive to the next layer. As the light passes through the liquid crystal layers, the molecules also change the light's plane of vibration to match their own angle. When the light reaches the far side of the liquid crystal substance, it vibrates at the same angle as the final layer of molecules. If the final layer is matched up with the second polarized glass filter, then the light will pass through.

If we apply an electric charge to liquid crystal molecules, they untwist! When they straighten out, they change the angle of the light passing through them so that it no longer matches the angle of the top polarizing filter. Consequently, no light can pass through that area of the LCD, which makes that area darker than the surrounding areas.

LCD displays use polerized light, yes. But they DON'T use Light Emitting Diodes.

Reply to
Dennis Willson

Agreed, but...

Some laptops use Light-Emitting Diode (LED) and plasma displays, but they are not as common. LED and plasma displays need more power, which drains the battery even more. This also makes them a less popular solution for laptop displays.

Dad

Reply to
Dennis Willson

Darn those people, don't they know better than to publish that kind of thing when it can't be proven. Not much future in hunting up information to prove what another site says that they felt was correct. Best thing to do is to ask them. If they can't prove what they have posted you might ask them to remove it and apologize to all of the people they've mislead.

The research underway to improve the LED display is there but mostly in cell phones, and believe it or not, an electric razor, and the Kodak 633 camera. In fact they are in the marketplace now. In the past they have worked with the LED display for outdoor use by civil engineers and photographers laptops.

Seems like that would be the type of display the military would use. If that is so maybe someone in the know about their laptops could let us know.

Can't remember the trade magazine I was reading a few years back that had an LED display they could roll up it was so thin. Think it was an organic LED or maybe a polymer, both of which will kill the present LCD market if they can get the market to get with the program.

Long way off the Corvette topic but interesting.

Reply to
Dad

FWIW, the LCD panels in the center stack (no nav) look covered with an oily film, rainbow colors, but still legible.

Reply to
Erik Veit

Thanks to all. Yup the old shades were G-15's. If I had stopped to really think it out (like the pres says, it's "hard work"), I'd have realized that the reflection off windscreen from the HUD is horizontally polarized and the reflection off the road is horizontally polarized too. The glasses are vertical to block the road glare--so they were made correctly--my appologies to American Optical.

So, this is a, "can't have your cake and eat it too" situation. The old G-15's in the C4 get moved to the C5 and the new shades get used for commuting where there's no HUD.

PJ '89 Hooker Car -- '02 C5

Reply to
PJ