GTP HUD Problem?

I've got a 99 GTP with about 95,000 miles and problem with the Heads up display...it dims and brightens then goes out...this happens frequently, sometimes it's out for hours...any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Thanx

Reply to
Lou Drumonde

Are there any certain conditions when it goes out and comes back ? Like going over a bumpy road or if it's wet out ?

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

No conditions - it happens at varied times - days-nites rain or shine...good road and bad....i was stopped at a traffic light one time and saw it slowly dim on its own to nothing.

in article bm7ivd$jb2qc$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-72906.news.uni-berlin.de, Phillip Schmid at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 10/10/03 7:30 PM:

Reply to
Lou Drumonde

-jwardl

Lou Drum> I've got a 99 GTP with about 95,000 miles

Reply to
jwardl

Just a quick question. How're your battery and alternator? The first thing that comes to mind is a loose wire. But the part where you watched it slowly dim makes me think that maybe the battery is starting to go.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Loose wire should read loose wire/solder connection.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

as far as i know the battery and alternator are fine... as for loose wires...that could ne hard to find, i'll keep those things in mind next time i check...Thanx.

in article bm84de$ju3ch$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-72906.news.uni-berlin.de, Phillip Schmid at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 10/11/03 12:28 AM:

Reply to
Lou Drumonde

Yeah, I know. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Lou,

I had the same thing happen on my 97 GTP. It is a combination of two things. First it was a wiring harness connection problem. I had to replaced the ignition harness connection (about two feet in length) in the steering wheel column. It cost about 95.00 dollars. This helped for a while. The next problem was the battery. If the battery goes low in potential it will cause similar problems and other things like engine lights to come on. You may have the voltage but the amps potential may be low enough for these strange conditions to come on. The fix for me was the wiring harness replacement. You may try to break and reconnect it again to see if this can cure it before replacing the entire connector harness. Next was the battery replacement and soon after that was the altenator. All the above fix my car and is now fine.

Regards,

Eric

Reply to
Eric Poller

Wow...that's a great bit of info...i might start with the battery...it's the original and it's probably due anyway with almost 100,000miles,

did you replace the wiring harness yourself?

I've been on the Grand Prix Club sites and they are all talking about removing HUD and resoldering particular connections and a light sensor...the solution you have seems much easier! Wonder why so many diffrent solutions?

Thanx very much!

in article Iublb.5602$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net, Eric Poller at snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com wrote on 10/21/03 9:35 AM:

Reply to
Lou Drumonde