Mounting Sirius radio & antenna in a C4

Does anyone have experience doing a 'neat' mounting job of a Sirius radio in a C4? I have a 92 coupe and currently put the magnetic mount antenna on the dash - works depending on the direction I happen to be driving.

Obviously cannot magnetic mount the antenna to the roof, but have heard that others may have mounted the antenna on the inside of the body somewhere - taking advantage of the radio transparency of the plastic body. Any details from someone who has done it?

Thanks in advance -

CaptainRick ===========

92 C4 - 6spd - Red Southern Calif
Reply to
Richard Lovdahl

tweeters did xm in my last viper; and they put it under the plastic in the trunk; over where the license plate is - the very tail of the car. it was hidden by the carpet - you would never know it was there. i never had any problems with reception. the product was the alpine xm/mp3/dvd head unit for $399; if thath helps. don't remember the unit part number - sorry.

Reply to
Anon

Someone stuck an antenna inside a rear fender a couple of years ago don't remember the details. The following scheme for XM results in nothing showing except for the 'blister' antenna on the roof and a small loop of co-ax right behind the driver's head.

Turns out that the hatchback hingeplate, aft of the hinge, forward of the glass, had enough ferrous in it that the stock XM antenna sticks fine. Didn't budge on a desert run at 130 mph -- low overcast, no planes in sight! {{:-).

I placed the antenna about half way between the centerline and left edge of the hinge plate (on the '89 the aux brake lite is mounted to that hinge plate). Coax lead-in rounds the leading edge of the hinge plate, makes a very small slack loop (just big enough for the hatch to open all the way) then ducks under the hatchback seal, is hidden by the seal behind the driver, thence under the cargo deck carpet and into the center console compartment through a hidden hole (only hole I had to drill). I ran a wire off the accessory circuit (passenger side fuse panel) into the center console and rigged a small voltage regulator to drop it down to 8vdc for the XM-Roady2. The Roady2 fits into one of the cassette slots in the console. Everything can be pulled out without leaving a mark. The FM re-conversion to an unused channel is good enough for my ears so I've got no audio wiring. Having the outside antenna closer to the rear fender radio antenna seems to help when Mexican stations splatter onto the 'unused FM channel.'

An antenna is still inside the C5 and I'm using the accessory power outlet in the center console -- doesn't look as bad as did the C4 before I hid all the wires--so, "the power of laziness" rules and I've not taken the time to put hard wiring and a regulator in that car. C4 reception is slightly better with the roof mount and can make it through some short tunnels on memory (no dropouts), while, through the same tunnels, the C5 has a short gap in reception.

Also live in So.Cal where the satellite is strong.

HTH

-- PJ '89 Hookercar '02 e-blu 6-spd coupe

Reply to
PJ

Thanks for the tips, but tried my Sirius magnetic antenna on the rear hatch hinge plate and absolutely no magnetic attraction going on. Seems to be aluminum or other non-ferrous material. I dropped into a Tweeter shop and all they told me was to use double-stick tape. There is no way I am taping anything on my paint!

CaptainRick ===========

92 C4 - 6spd - Red Southern Calif
Reply to
<rlovdahl

I have an XM intenna mounted on the dash, over the crack on the right side by the pillar. Reception is pretty good, but cuts out in the mountains (Central California). I want to take it back and have it mounted in the center of the dash up next to the windshield, but it looks like it might be hard to get the wire over there under the dash.

Ed

Reply to
Spud

Spud, wrote the following at or about 5/16/2006 8:22 PM:

My XM radio antenna is mounted center left dash(right in front of the driver) and up close to the cowl in my '94. I had a little metal tab with PSA on it that I stuck there so the magnetic antenna would stay put. I have the same install in my tin car.

I have absolutely no problem in the flatlands of Illinois but when I take it up to central Wisconsin in the hill country (their version of mountains) I will lose the signal occasionally.

That's going to happen regardless of where the antenna is mounted, Spud. It's line of sight and there's nothing above dash level in a 'Vette that's going to screw up reception. The satellite you're looking for is probably sitting at a low angle and has got a mountain betwixt you and it. I'll occasionally lose reception driving through a heavily wooded country road and I've lost signal there even when I had the mag mount antenna sitting on the roof of the tin car. Shit happens.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I have a Roadie 2 receiver in my truck and have the magnetic antenna on the roof. It Never cuts out unless I'm in a parking garage. So there is something to the XM manual which says DO NOT MOUNT ANTENNA INSIDE CAR. But compromise is necessary. The new C6 black box on the roof of the car isn't too cool, but it probably had OnStar in it too.

Ed

Reply to
Spud

Spud, wrote the following at or about 5/17/2006 6:01 PM:

Agreed, however I suspect the Roady2 is also less susceptible to loss than either the original Roady or the Sky-Fi unit.

I started out with the Roady and then "upgraded" to the Roady2 and I've experienced significantly less signal drop with the latter even though there's been no change in the antenna positioning. Where I used to run into tree fade on those "covered bridge" roads, I rarely lose it now. In the mountainous/hilly/wooded/twisty turny areas I can still lose the signal even though when headed in certain directions - like those which afford an unobstructed view of the southern or southeastern sky, I seem to have the full signal strength indicated by the meter.

I think I read somewhere that the Roady2 had a larger buffer in it.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Mine offers 5 to maybe 8 seconds of program after entering tunnels and usually I'm back in the clear before the buffer runs 'dry.' Some of XM is on terrestrial in SoCal so channels like traffic and weather don't quit, even in parking garages.

After reading the posts here, I realize that the C5 (antenna on the dash) suffers when heading North. Will try to find a spot for the antenna.

Neatest technology for less than $ 50 that I can think of. Delphi did good work--shame they went BK!

-- PJ '89 Hookercar, '02 e-blu 6-spd coupe

Reply to
PJ

I also read in the manual NOT to install the antenna inside the vehicle. I then talked to my local electronics installation guru and he agreed, but, with a plastic car compromises must be made. I have my Roady2 antenna mounted about 1-2 inches from the glass in the center of my dashboard in my

  1. I haven't had any problem in any direction. Of course in traffic if I get caught under an overpass etc I'll lose signal for a moment, but that has happened even with my FM signal occasionally. Rob
Reply to
Scubabix