INSTALLING SIRIUS SAT. RADIO in 2005 Explorer

Has anyone installed Sirius Radio in their Explorer using the factory Sirius "ready" radio. My dealer wants $650 to install the unit, and I feel this is way too much, for a radio that is "Sirius Ready". If so where did you buy the reciever and where did you mount the antenna? How hard was it to do? THANKS!!

Reply to
chuckster

I did the instal myself in my 2004 Thunderbird. Radios and More provides the proper instructions for a vehicle along with the receiver. In fact, the guy at Radios and More sent me the instructions before I bought the receiver. It was realtively easy in my case. Some people ignore the instructions and install the antenna on the dash. This saves a lot of work.See

. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I just installed the radio, satellite receiver, and satellite antenna on my son's 95 Explorer. Since you already have the "Sirius Ready" radio you only have to install the satellite receiver and run the wire up to dash. Satellite ready only means your head unit will accept another source, namely a satellite unit. Ensure the cabling from the satellite receiver to the head unit uses a compatible connector. I placed the receiver under the larger rear seat, bolting it to the floor. The antenna must be outside. I hot glued it right at the center back, routing the wires in the hatch back molding. Mark

Reply to
Mark Barrett

The factory kit is labour intensive... satellite receiver and antenna go in the back. It gets worse if you want to be sure there's no new squeaks and rattles after you're done. I only did one..... if they ask me to do another one, I'll run out back and hang myself...

Reply to
Jim Warman

How hard can it be to install a SIRIUS unit to a head that is already prewired to handle it?? I can see the antenna being a bit@h but that should be it. Am I missing something??? if so let the group know since this will be the "add on" of the future. Any install tips??

Reply to
mr inspector