New Driving Laws in Florida

Don't know if you have seen this, but a nice idea for a new law. Get the lane blockers out of the way.

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- I know I used to get tired of such problems, following someone who had simply gotten lonely and pulled up next to the other guy, both doing the same speed or about 10 mph slower than the flow of traffic.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

On Wed, 04 May 2005 04:04:50 GMT, "Tom in Missouri" puked:

I just came back from a two hour drive up and down I95 and someone needs to do a better job getting the word out...

lab~rat

Reply to
RicSeyler

I think I read that doesn't take affect until July 1. Too bad they don't do that here in Missouri. Of course, we do have the old "keep right except to pass" law that no one ever enforces. There is (was) still a law on the books that you had to sound your horn when overtaking another vehicle. It dates back to the '30s I think. I have done just that on rare occasion, and I can tell you, it gets the attention of those you are passing.

The traffic though frequently isn't all that bad here. I was over in Illinois near Wood River a couple of weeks ago and had to get down to Fenton in a hurry. Even with the road work on I44 up to Kingshighway, I managed to get out Hwy 30 in about an hour.

That's one thing I always found difficult in South Florida and in Orlando. Although millions of people, but you essentially have two roads north and south in South Florida - I95 and the turnpike. In Orlando, the East-West actually goes east and west, I4 East and West actually goes north and south, and the turnpike is a good way to avoid most of Orlando. There is no real way to get anywhere such as the airport up to Maitland or Apopka down to Disney. There are roads, but they are ground level and jammed with store traffic and residential access.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

That's not a good practice for overtaking a vehicle in the left lane. If you're behind someone in the left lane, you beep then try to pass on the right, they will often pull over right as you are trying to pass.

Reply to
Stephen Horrillo

Hey, it's the law. I was "required" to do it. (What do I need, a giant smiley face here?)

I remember a few of us where I worked at the time going out honking when we passed like "required" by law just for grins. Obviously a law not set in modern day driving. Can you imagine a typical multilane urban highway with normal commuter traffic and people honking as required by law? We'd all go deaf from all the noise.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Reply to
RicSeyler

One of the things I really loved about Monaco was that you could get a ticket for blowing your horn.

Reply to
Stephen Horrillo

I really think there should be two horns on the car. One cute and one aggressive. I haven't gotten around to it yet but I bought a factory original horn from the Plymouth Road Runner. It sounds just like the Roadrunner cartoon character. I would think that a little Beep Beep would get the job done without inducing road rage. In Europe they flash their lights.

Reply to
Stephen Horrillo

On Fri, 6 May 2005 01:17:24 GMT, "Stephen Horrillo" puked:

In addition to those two horns, there should also be a photon torpedo or something for those REALLY dense drivers...

lab~rat

A friend related this story to me once:

A friend of mine used to work for a fence company. Typical south Florida white 1 ton flatbeds were what they used like everyone else. He was riding with another guy and some idiot in a Firebird is hogging the left lane so the driver begins to get right on his tail. Firebird idiot begins the brake light flashing but the truck doesn't move from getting closer. So the Firebird does the typical 1 second brake lock to scare him, but the truck driver is not the ordinary driver - he hits him. And hits him again. Finally knocks him off on the shoulder and keeps on going, both drivers saluting with the international gesture of brotherhood.

My friend is going nuts, expects the cops any second, and so on. The driver says, "Hey, there must be 1 million beat up white 1 ton flatbeds here in South Florida. How are they going to find me?"

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

There is a "Slow Poke" law in MO. It says you can be ticketed for causing traffic backups by going less than the posted speed on 2 lane highways. For multi-lane, it is failure to yield to faster traffic/improper lane usage, no speed specs. I have never seen it enforced tho.

Marty

Reply to
Marty

They get too hemmed up in front a flash of wig-wag gets them to move. Be careful don't get caught with these. My biggest peeve is someone who passes then pulls in front of you with no traffic behind them, only to slow down. Jeez I've only had the cruise set at 72 for 280 miles!

Bush

Reply to
Bushleague

Reply to
TRello

On Sun, 15 May 2005 07:00:33 -0500, TRello puked:

And watching tv, changing diapers, putting on makeup, inserting feminine products, etc...

lab~rat