63 Roadster rebuild question/ Photo attch'd

I finally got to work on my 63 this weekend( after 22 years in my garage) and had some big fun. We pulled the drivetrain and stripped the 250hp 327 down to the bare block the first day. There is a small ridge in the cylinders, so we are going to a 20 overbore. The machine shop is taking care of that, as well as working the heads over to take un-leaded gas.The second day I pulled the heater core and various parts that are sooo accesible without the engine in place. We put together a parts list of everything that will be replaced or re-built. I have a number of questions but will not overload the NG at one time. 1)The attch'd photo is looking forward from the firewall. The item that is circled in red appears to be similar to a U-joint cap. I looked at the motor but can't find anything that matches up with that piece. Any ideas about what it is? 2)Is that steering dampner? in the lower left a stock item or do I need to get numbers off of it? 3) Does it matter if I go with 2'' or 2 1/2" when I replace the exhaust system? My car has only glass packs behind the the rear suspension, and no resonators. I see System 2 has kits for it w/resonators. Any recommendations on an exhaust system vendor? The goal of this project is to restore this to the same condition it was when parked- a reliable, fun, driver. We aren't going to pump anything up, or try to do a restoration. There is 95K on the car and is in great shape, never "customized", just cared for. I'm sure there will be more questions and opinions in the near future. Thanx- Lib

Reply to
lib

No picture attached, so I'm not sure what you are referring to. Have a look at the url address below and it may tell you what you want to know:

Long Island Corvette is a good vendor, and there are many others.

The steering damper looks like a (horizontal) shock absorber, and was left off some models, so you can try leaving it off... best left on for a smooth ride on potholed streets, though.

The exhaust depends on the engine... hi-perf engines had the 2.5 inch exhaust. The price to GM for a 2 inch versus 2.5 inch was likely miniscule, probably not enough to justify a lot of different part numbers on a low production vehicle, as the pipes, exhaust manifolds, mufflers, and all the hangers are different, so I believe the 2 inch system is best for allowing the low (250) horsepower engines to breath properly, 2.5 for the hi-perf engines (solid lifter hi-rev engines).

Reply to
waynec

I don't see the pic but I can't think of anything like this in the engine compartment - especially something that would be forward of the firewall. ...the steering gear box connection? Other than the engine, there're very few mechanically connected items forward of the firewall. hmmm...

The damper is called a "steering shock absorber" in my vintage parts catalog. The part number is/was #4975447, used on '63-'68, non-fuelies, hi-perf or special hi-perf and went for $25.50 back in '79.

It appears by the same parts catalog, the 250hp and 300hp had the same compression, camshaft and heads. The difference appears to be in the carb and exhaust - though deciphering the listings can be a challenge. I'd say to go with either size, but keep in mind you'll have to change out the exhaust manifolds if they're of a different pipe size (or make up an adapter - but you'll be restricting flow by the smallest diameter in the system).

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

---snip---

heads up... this is not a binary/ picture group. its a "text only" group. if you want to attach a pic ? put it on a URL and post the link.

g'day

Reply to
'Key

Agreed - my ISP drops all binaries posted to non-binary groups so I don't see them no matter what.

lib: I've thought a bit about your U-joint thingie in the engine bay and still can't think of anything that would connect to it. I'd really like to see a pic. You can email an attachment to me: onlnlowe(AT)easystreet.com

I'll put a copy in my miscellaneous folder on my ISP for others to view if you don't have space with your web provider.