Question: Leaking Oil Pan Plug

I have an '80 with the 350. I can't seem to get the oil pan drain plug to completely seal so that it doesn't leak.

I've tried 3 different replacement plugs from different manufacturers. I've cleaned the mating surfaces.

Thanks.

Reply to
LR

You might try a couple of wraps of teflon thread-sealing tape around the threads each oil change. I haven't used it for that, but it might work. A new pan wouldn't be too awfully expensive, either.

Reply to
WayneC

Are you replacing the brass washer that goes between the plug and the pan with each oil change? There are even collapsable washers available (not lock washers, but the kind that have two wall and compress under pressure).

Reply to
BDragon

There are three ways that correct this.

  1. Buy the oversized drain plug from most auto parts stores.
  2. Buy the nut plate that fits in the pan from your Chevy dealer or some Corvette/Chevy vendors and install.
  3. Replace the pan.

1 is the cheapest, 2 is the hardest work, and 3 is the most expensive.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Does the plug tighten down? I'm questioning whether the threads are stripped....

If it tightens down, go to Lowes and look in the washer section for a big ass thick rubber washer. You might even have to go to a Mom and Pop real hardware store. If it will tighten down, a rubber washer will fix it, unless the pan is actually leaking from somewhere other than the plug.

Buy a few of the washers that fix it. Over time the oil will break down the washer, (we are talk>I have an '80 with the 350. I can't seem to get the oil pan drain plug to

Reply to
RicSeyler