22R oil pan gasket

Ok, I am going to give this another try to replace oil pan gasket on my '84 Toy PU 4x4 with 22R engine.

First time I used a cork gasket from Autozone. Started to leak shortly afterwards.

Second time used Permatex RTV. Seemed to work but started to leak after

4 to 6 weeks of use.

This time I have an orginal Toyota gasket. I noticed Toyota's maintenance manual shows putting a small bead of RTV only on the front 2 corners of the gasket before installation. Not sure why only the front and not the entire gasket.

HELP! What is the secret to installing the oil pan gasket on the 22R without having a leak?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Nick

Reply to
Nick

any chance your oil pan is warped? I'd install a rubber gasket and put some Permatex sealant on it after cleaning the mating surfaces and torque to spec making sure you tighten the bolts in a criss-cross manner

Reply to
Tacoma Dude

I had the pan on a flat surface and I couldn't see any warpage.

Did you put permatex > Nick wrote:

Reply to
Nick

Reply to
Tacoma Dude

What I always do when I install a Toyota 22R pan gasket is paint both sides of the gasket with that Permatex brown shit -- i even paint a light coat on both mating surfaces. I lay the gasket in place and then I put the pan in place and tighten all the bolts to about 5 - 10 lb-ft of torque. I *DON'T* fill up the thing with oil for several hours or even overnight. I think this truly is the secret to not having a leak.

(btw- I make sure both mating surfaces are scraped and cleaned completely before painting anything on there)

Reply to
Celica Dude