roof panel liner

Mousefuzz cloth liner on roof panel is separating from what I think is a foam insulation/soundproofing material. Years ago I had this happen in a Firebird and managed to cement it back in place. --but, can't remember what I used.

Any suggestions??

No need to keep this original.

tia.. pj

Reply to
pj

Norton or 3M spray disk adhesive, coat both surfaces and let dry to tack. Then smooth on , can be pull back off to reposition if it has not gone on as well as you would like. Don't dally, it will get harder to remove each time you work it.

Reply to
Dad

The headliner on the removable hardtop for my '94 convertible started to disintegrate. The foam was decomposing allowing the fabric in the headliner to droop. I could have tolerated it if I was only 5' something. However, at 6'3" I need all the headroom I can get

I went to one of the large, chain fabric stores (we had a Jo-Ann's close by) and was amazed at all the goodies they have. I found a nice plain black cloth with foam backing. I cleaned off the mess from the original headliner and after CAREFULLY cutting a piece to fit the original area, I did just what Dad suggested. It worked like a charm and now, four years later, it still looks as good (almost) as new.

I think my total investment, including the spray adhesive was less than $25.

I suspect that you are in the initial stages of what I experienced, i.e. separation from the foam. Once you see what you're dealing with UNDER the fabric, I suspect you'll realize - as I did - that it's just going to keep delaminating no matter what you do. Might as well resign yourself to cleaning it out and installing new.

Reply to
Dddudley

Tks. We're lucky with both a large fabric store and an upholstery materials shop close by.

I'm outta here with a couple of twenties in my fist.

pj

Reply to
pj

Reply to
Tikbalang

It's toast. the foam has disintegrated. Good news is your local fabric store likely has replacement headliner cloth and you can get 3M spray adhesive at your FLAPS (get the heavy duty stuff. I forget the part number.) BTDT. Last time I had this issue was on an '84 Rabbit GTI, rather than using the doomed-to-fail headliner cloth I just used black sheet vinyl. Didn't get any negative comments on it, and the few people who noticed and/or knew that I had done it seemed to think that if anything it looked better. Certainly easier to clean!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Tks guys for the suggestions. Duped Nate's idea and went with a dull black vinyl (w/stretch backing) over a layer of foam sandwiched between thin vinyl (think it was intended as a table cloth material. Absolutely no wrinkles and the wind noise above 85mph seems more muffled.

The tip on spray adhesive was OUTSTANDING !!!

tks again

-- pj

Reply to
pj