roof skin

Hi,

I wonder if someone may be able to offer advice on the following situation:

Specifically, I attended at an Automatic Drive - Through Car Wash, for having my vehicle washed.

The mechanism developed a fault and severe damage was caused to my vehicle. The drying element of the machine in question mal-functioned and came in contact with the rear screen and roof causing serious damage.

When I reported this incident to a member of staff, the response was "you are not serious a windscreen was damaged in the "wash" earlier".

The rear windscreen was scratched and the roof had dents in it, plus some of the paintwork on the roof was damaged. The owners of the car wash agreed to have my car repaired and to cover all cost involved.

As my car was approximately six weeks old I returned the car to the main dealer to have the repairs carried out with the agreement of the owner of the car wash. I was told by the main dealer that they would be sending my car to an outside garage to have the repairs carried out. This I was told would involve replacing the rear windscreen, removing the cloth from underneath the roof in order to remove the dents, and spray the roof.

Now the problems really start.

The owners of the auto wash supplied me with a car while the repairs were being carried out. The repairs took three weeks and I was informed that the roof skin was removed and replaced with a new roof skin. This I may add I was not consulted on "replacing the roof skin"

Next I had an independent assessor inspect my car and received a report stating that the roof trim was not fitting properly and to request the main dealer to replace the roof trims with new ones. The assessor also stated that as the car had now suffered structural damage there would be a depreciation figure of 2,600 and that I may have difficulty selling or trading in the car due to this. I returned my car to the main dealer and he carried out this repair.

A few months later after travelling a long journey, I noticed the roof moulding was missing. I had a panel beater inspect the roof of my car, as I was concerned as to this being a recurring problem. To my horror, I was informed that the roof mouldings had not been correctly fitted, as adhesive had been used to hold the roof moulding in place instead of the clips that should have been used. The only explanation the panel beater could offer as a reason for this was to save money. I then requested the panel beater to inspect the roof and to give his opinion if the roof had been replaced.

After inspecting, the roof further I was informed by the panel beater, that in his opinion the roof had not been replaced. I contacted the owner of the auto wash to supply me with a detail report of what the cost was to him in repairing my car and to detail what work was carried out. But for some reason he will not reply to me.

I have also requested from the main dealer, and the garage that undertook the repairs.

a) To supply a detail report of the repairs that was undertaken.

b) Cost of parts and labour

c) Explain why the roof mouldings were not correctly fitted

d) Request that the roof mouldings be replaced by new mouldings

e) Why was there an extra 470 miles on the meter when the car, returned to my possession?

The main dealer informs me that the garage he sent the car to for repairs, will not give him any details as the cost of repairs, as he was paid by the owners of the car wash and not by him.

I would appreciate your points of view please

Could somebody please explain in detail what would have been involved in replacing the roof skin, and the procedure that would have been carried out from start to finish?

How would the car company be likely to view this as I brought my car back to their main dealer for repair?

What would be the likely outcome if I was to take this matter to court?

Thanks in advance

Ed

Reply to
Eamon

To your horror? Really?? Seems a little extreme...

Reply to
Grunff

Get a magnet and check the roof panel around the area that was damaged - this will tell you if it's been pulled out and skimmed with filler rather than replaced.

Reply to
SteveH

regarding legal matters, may be best asking in uk.legal, or uk.legal.moderated.

Reply to
Barry

Thanks for your replies

Reply to