What exactly is "stock"?

I recently bought a 1971 Super Beetle from the original owner. For all intents and purposes it is about 99% stock. The only things changed are the radio (with BIG speakers behind the back seat), the trunk liner the window handles and *maybe* the sun visors (I'm not sure about those but they seem thinner than what I have seen before). Even the engine is the original. I would like to change a few things, mostly the interior needs work as it shows it's age: the vinyl is dirty and uncleanable, the headliner is kind of grubby but no tears, and the steering wheel is cracked. Given that I will replace these items eventually, I was wondering about the latitude I would have if I want to keep it "stock". For the car to still be considered stock, do I have to replace/recover the seats in the same material or can I take some artistic license? What about the door panels? I have seen plenty of really nice interior sets on the market but I can go either way. What about painting? (it is the original blue but was repainted 10 years ago, I would prefer a different color) I am somewhat conflicted, with very little work, I can make this car look like this was 1971 and it just drove off the lot, or I can make it look like I designed it :-) I am not considering anything like "lowering" it or amping up the engine. I would appreciate any opinions.

Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks

Flea

I would only agree with flea , if you intend to keep it forever !

If it is nearly stock now, it will have a better resale value if you leave it that way.

And yes - stock , means as it came from the factory ! interior weave pattern corect for year/model , original radio, (uncut dash ! ) correct winder handle - the lot..

At the very least - only change stuff the can be put back :-)

Reply to
tricky

Ach! Maybe I'm just too old, but a '71 ain't old enough to worry about being stock. Just make it right, IMHO.

Reply to
JJ

not saying you're wrong - just consider this.

If everyone had that opinion 10 years ago, there would be no stock 61's left - and so on and so forth...

There are plenty of non stock / repaired to keep it running - bugs out there to 'make right' or chop and change about .

Not saying you are wrong - just giving it from another angle.

I love some of the top hotrods out there, and some of them were very 'stock' before they got chopped up :-)

my opinion would differ from yours, in that I would like to see 'stock' examples of our beloved cars , still around in another 30 - 50 years ! - I also think that there are enough bugs about that havent been kept stock, just 'kept running' - that can make great daily's in whatever color and with whatever seats , wheels, etc etc you like.

Reply to
tricky

As you realize from your own later statements, everyone doesn't do that, and everyone will not do that, so there is no worry.

The old "if everyone" posit should be thrown away. If everyone in a skyscraper flushed the toilet at the same time... but in reality, it doesn't happen.

Reply to
JJ

That's what I was thinking. I just got it and I plan on keeping it forever, but you never know.

Thankfully the dash hasn't been cut, and it still has what I think was the original speaker for the stock radio is in place.

If only my wife would put up with all the extra parts in the garage :-(

Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks

It's not so much what others think, it's what others would be willing to pay should I want to sell it.

Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks

There aren't a lot of 35 year old cars on the road anymore, let alone one in this good shape. I at least plan on driving this one for awhile.

Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks

I have a beautiful stock 72 Standard. It was $2,495 new. That's about what I can expect to get from it today, a pittance.

Reply to
JJ

Can't get squat for 'em anyway. But I do refuse to buy a new car that costs half my annual salary nowadays.

Reply to
JJ

Reply to
Dennis

I paid $5500 for mine from the original owner. He still had the window sticker and the price new was $2100. He took very good care of the car and has all the receipts to prove it. I guess his reward was getting 35 years of use out of the car. I didn't just hand over the $5500 without doing a lot of shopping around. The price was fair for what I have seen on the market.

Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks

There is something to be said for buying a new car though. I guess it depends where you live and what you use it for. My wife and I go to Vegas a lot which requires us to drive 200+ miles through desert. Last time we went the temperature was 125 degrees in Baker California (a town you pass by on the way if you aren't familiar with the drive), we would have died without AC. I can't imagine driving the bug there. With the new car we also know we will make it.

Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks

I have certainly seen some nice interior setups on the various VW web sites. I really like those aluminum interiors. I will live with what I have until I have a bit more money saved and then I'll decide.

Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks

Wuss. I have ridden across that desert as well as The Worlds Loneliest road in August on a motorcycle in full leathers. I've done it in a '49 Chevy, too. No air.

Reply to
JJ

Ever seen my '46/'56/'66 Harley?

Reply to
JJ

He drove it 35 years with the window sticker on it?

I call bullshit.

Reply to
JJ

Reply to
tricky

I have the window sticker. Obviously he took it off, but being as meticulous as he was, he put it in his package of receipts which he gave me when I bought the car.

Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks