Soft tires/sizes for 63 SB?

What Goodyear model would be a good, smooth, soft-riding tire size for a

250HP roadster? I am interested in a road, not race tire. The entire suspension has been replaced and I will need to have both front and back aligned. The alignment shop recommended that I install the new tires before aligning. The problem is the tire store is 50 miles away from align. shop.I will be using my ET-IV (7.0 x 15) rims. I would like a wide tire, but not so wide it would rub. All the fender wells, etc. are stock. Thanx- lib
Reply to
lib

Michelins are what I have been running on my 64 Roadster.. Standard Size however....They just ride nice...I do not push this car ...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

I think most with C2s run a 205/75-15, but some have run a 215/70-15 and

225/60-15. I've seen were some have run a 65 series profile, but I don't remember the size they used.

An important note is that these cars although mass produced, were almost like hand made cars in how the tires fit. Anything from the original stock size may not fit in the wheelwell on one but will in another.

With the aftermarket wheels you are using, it is important that you mount one tire of the size you want, then try it at each corner to ensure it will fit. You will have to get at the tire store at an unbusy time and have a good working relationship with them, probably having to pay extra for mounting if they end up changing sizes and maybe a restocking fee. Some stores will consider a tire junk if mounted and removed. I had that once when I ordered (and paid for) a set of 235/70-16s for my truck in Load Range F and they mounted D on there instead. I noticed it a couple of days later, they replaced them with only a bit of hesitation, but unfortunately, these days old Load Range D tires now went in the scrap pile.

A real shame.

Duke Williams on the NCRS board (SWCDuke on Corvette Forum) recommends some Pirellis and some Police Specials. I believe they may be in a 65 series size. You'd have to check the archives on each of those boards.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Thanx for the info. I spoke to my Goodyear guy today and explained the situation. The car is an hour away from him, and I need the tires mounted so my mechanic can limp the car a couple of miles to the alignment shop. Logistics make it very difficult to experiment with different tires before mounting and balancing a set for keeps. He said he would see what he came up with and asked me to call him tomorrow AM for some answers. He and the car are 50 miles apart in Wash. state and I'm in N. Calif. so nothing comes easy in this part of the re-build project. I will forward this info to him in the AM tomorrow and see how that compares to what he's discovered. I'll let you know what happens- lib

Reply to
lib

Probably the closest to the original size is 205/75-15, but you will have a hard time finding decent tires in that size; I don't think Goodyear offers one.

215/70-15 should work fine, and either the Assurance ComforTred or the TripleTred would be good, smooth, quiet cruising tires; the TripleTred has bit more aggressive tread pattern, and might perform better in rain or snow, while the ComforTred may offer a slightly smoother/softer ride. Both are "T"-rated in this size, and both are blackwalls.

I use ComforTreds on a Camry sedan I own, and my brother-in-law uses TripleTreds on his Volvo V70 wagon, and we are both well-satisfied with them (although I think in the size he uses, the TripleTred is "H"-rated)

Other good choices would be Yokohama Avid Touring (which come in a white-stripe, should you be so inclined; they are only "S"-rated), or Michelin X blackwalls (but the Michelin X is only available through Costco or Sam's Club).

Reply to
WayneC