What's after Z06?

I'd love to see this happen; make a car that handles awesomely, and make it even better.

Yeah, I don't know what I was somking. Perhaps if the manufacturing costs ever go down, this can be an alternative, say in the 2050 Z06 Corvette.

When do you think SMG will happen? I heard the infinitely variable boxes can't handle over like over 200 HP, at least the one Audi developed.

I read somewhere, they bore the cylinders so large that the walls between the cylinders are very thin.

Wow, that's cool. I didn't read about the gearbox being in the back.

There's probably an alloy waiting to be found with magnesium to make it a viable, lighter alternative? Here's what I found on the web:

Specific Weight: Auminum: 2.55-2.80 Magnesium: 1.73

Young's Modulus: Aluminum 69 Magnesium 45

So taking 2.55 for aluminum, and 1.73 for Mg, Magnesium is about 67% lighter, yet 65% weaker. So, you'd save yourself maybe 2% in weight savings when you thicken the magnesium beams to match aluminum strength? Perhaps that's not right since volume, hence weight goes up by a cube, and strength goes up the the square (cross sectional area.)

There has to be some alloy out there.

As far as rust goes, the new Pagoni Zonda F uses magnesium rims instead of aluminum rims for weight savings. Maybe owners of a Zonda don't care about rust and having to replace their rims every 6 months? I doubt it. There has to be room for some kind of magnesium application in a vette. Right?

Yeah, for the cost, it's awesome. Maybe they can work on the interior some. Perhaps they will make a environmentally friendlier Vette by introducing displacement on demand, a 'new' engine technology GM is developing. Which would be cool: imagine a vette that also does 32mpg highway cruising.

thanks for your thoughts.

Reply to
DaLoverhino

I'm told the current LS-2 engine casting is fitted for DOD, it's just not in use. And my C6 gives 28.3 mpg at 75 mph cruise, 30.5 at 70, and

33+ at 65. For comparison my old '67 VW Bug gives 33-35 at 60 and 28 at
  1. I think the Corvette's fuel figures are fabulous for a high-performance car, especially one that performs without having to be driven like you're mad at it.
Reply to
Vandervecken

Not true, better read it again, you might be thinking about the cylinder flange.

That happened in the last century, you need to catch-up with the present day Corvette before you start making it better.

There was also magnesium wheels available as an option for the C5, didn't sell well and was dropped.

Don't forget its ability to crack at any time it wants to because of the corrosion, not on my list of improvements (?).

Which it does now without the garbage that would be added for DOD. I wonder if that has anything to do with the cost that makes it so awsome?

Reply to
Dad

Yes indeed. You recommend any Corvette history books? I've just been fed a bunch of German crap from friends and ads for awhile, that one day, I was just browsing cars, and started reading about the Vettes. And I looked at the numbers and prices and went, "HOLY COW!"

Why? Were they ugly?

Really? I've read it does 26mpg, I think on edmonds. If it does better than that, that's pretty cool. My 2004 BMW 6 is quoted at doing

26mpg too, but in reality it does much less, like 19mpg, no matter how much I try to feather the gas. It's 4.5L displacement is less than a Vette, but the Vette gets better mileage! Wow. (That and the fact that my BMW is a slug compared to the Vette.)
Reply to
DaLoverhino

A nice handy referance book is the Corvette Black Book, available from Amazon. Also take a look in

There you go again, why do they need to be ugly? They were expensive, I think around $3,000, but a good looking wheel, YMMV.

I have to admit that I was working at getting good mileage on a 625 mile trip when it got 33.8. Most of the time it stays between 28/30 after it had 10K on it.

Not many machines on the road that are made better than the BMW, just not my bag.

Reply to
Dad

Take a look at the Mosler MT900S, and you'll see how GM could improve, and lighten the vette.

On 19 Dec 2005 12:14:02 -0800, "DaLoverhino" spewed forth:

Reply to
LoneGunman

You mean GM should pump the price up to $189,000 and go back to the old

5.5 liter engine? Hmmm, and you think that will improve sales?!
Reply to
Cool Jet

I would hope the car is less of a "work in progress" than the web site--long on menus, fotos and Flash, short on content!

Reply to
PJ

I didn't mean GM should copy the MT900, but the could learn alot in how to save weight, since the Z06 is a bloated 3000+ pound car, and the MT900 weighs in at 2300 pounds.

Oh, and the LS6 is a 5.7L engine, plus the 7.0L engine will bolt right in too, we're running one of those in the yellow car.

On 29 Dec 2005 05:17:10 -0800, "Cool Jet" spewed forth:

Reply to
LoneGunman

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 07:28:17 -0800, PJ spewed forth:

Try

the german site is brand new, although thespecs do vary a bit in the US.

Reply to
LoneGunman

I think the C6R weighs in at 2,425 with the '05 Z06 steel frame and can't imagine how the mt90 can be that heavy and be competitive. May just be their choice of engines that keep them in the running. They need to go to GM and find out how to build a car that is affordable and forget that bloated feeling they are driving.

Reply to
Dad

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:38:12 -0500, "Dad" spewed forth:

Hahaha...thats 2300lbs in street trim, ac, power windows, stereo, two seats, etc..

In race trim the MT900R needs weight added, to meet the minimum :) Sub 2000lbs is no problem, if only they would let us run that light.

Reply to
LoneGunman

So what is your relationship to Warren?

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 06:46:18 GMT, "Tom in Missouri" spewed forth:

Employee

Reply to
LoneGunman

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:53:29 -0600, Bob I puked:

I could live with some type of roll bar or whatnot....

lab~rat