16" vs 17" wheel question for the mechanics

What is the advantage of a 17" wheel over a 16" wheel? I just noticed that on the 09 Dodge Caravan SXT there is no option for 17", it comes only with the 16". The Chrysler T&C Limited still has the option, as did the 08 Caravan SXT.

Also noted is that the "sport suspension" is no longer offered on either vehicle.

This is with 4.0 liter, 6 speed automatic transmission, TIA

Reply to
Zaphod Beeblebrox

17 inch rims use lower profile tires, theoretically providing better handling, but at a definite reduction in ride compliance, and at a significant hit in tire price.
Reply to
clare

I see that lower profile in some of the more extreme dia wheels, such as the 20" seen on some performance vehicles. With the Caravan/T&C there doesn't seem to be much difference, as the two tire sizes are: 225/65R16 16x6.5 rim P225/65R17 17x6.5 rim

Reply to
QX

From 1010tires.com website: Size: 225/65R16 225/65R17 Section Width: 8.85 in 8.85 in Rim Diameter: 16 in 17 in Rim Width Range: 6 - 8 in : 6 - 8 in Overall Diameter: 27.51 in 28.51 in Sidewall Height: 5.75 in 5.75 in Radius: 13.75 in 14.25 in Circumference: 86.42 in 89.56 in Revs per Mile: 756.0 729.5

Reply to
QX

Out of the ordinry to have 2 different rolling diameters. You sure the

17 is not a 225-60?

They are within less than 1/4" in diameter that way.

Reply to
clare

I would go with the 16" wheels just for the fact that tires are going to be easier to find for a 16" rim than 17", so they should be cheaper too. Unless you really like the looks of the 17s....

Reply to
9DodgeFan

Visibly, it's very hard to see any difference. They are the same profile.

225/65R16 vs 225/65R17
Reply to
QX

Are you SURE???? The overall diameter on the 17 would be an inch higher than the 16. Are they not 225 60 on the 17? Only 0.10" diameter difference that way Or 225 70 16 and 225 65 17? Again only 0.10" diameter difference. That's only 3 revs per mils difference, compared to closer to 17 revs per mile difference between 225 65 16 and 225 65 17.

Reply to
clare

Verified it off the tires. That's why I was questioning what the advantage, if any, to the 17" was. Same profile, just an inch taller. The 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT option packages M & N came with the 17". For 2009, only the 16" is available. P225/65R17 P225/65R16

17 x 6.5 rim 16 x 6.5 rim
Reply to
QX

Then the only difference is one gives you half an inch more ground clearance and throws the speedo off one way or the other, depending which tire the vehicle was delivered with/calibrated for.

16s are definitely cheaper, and if you want the extra hight you can always put 70 series 16s on - likely still cheaper than the 17, and a better ride to boot.
Reply to
clare