1994 Dodge Intrepid Mystery Problem.

My 1994 3.3L Dodge Intrepid momentarily shuts down for about one to two seconds when going up hill. No fault codes register. Tach freaks out, cruise light comes on (no other lights), then car returns to normal operation. Had it in shop, put in another PCM computer, ASD relay, speed sensor, and other attempts to find problem. No success. Doesn't happen in shop, only on road tests and infrequently. Shop has given up after about $700.00 in cost. They think that the fuel stops at fuel injectors, but not a fuel pump problem. What the heck do I do now??? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you......a frustrated Dodge owner.

Reply to
sptuman

Well first of all if it is fuel it would not just shut off like that, because there is always fuel pressure in the system. If the pump momentarily shuts offs it may slightly loose power but will not cause the tach to jump, therefore we know it is an electrical problem with spark. The part that would cause the tach and engine to die out would be the cam and crank sensor, one of those is causing your problem. And I would bet the crank sensor. If you were to have a dealer look at it and have the scan tool connected they would be able to see what we call a secondary indicator, this is a fault code that has not matured into a hard fault, in other words it is not able to set itself to turn the lite on because it happens so quick. If that shop installed all those parts before replacing the cam/crank sensor they don't know what they are doing, get it out of there. These parts are easy to replace with just a 10mm wrench and socket. Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thank you Glen. The shop says they replaced the cam and crank senser.?? Then they read a Dodge bulliten and replaced the connecting harness for the cam/crank sensor. They thought they had fixed the problem but it soon came back. They kept thinking that something was shutting off the fuel injector relays but couldn't figure out what. Why does it seem like the problem only occurs going up a hill? Engine torqueing? They also replaced two broken motor mounts, maybe not related but I thought I'd throw it in. I also suspected the cam/crank senser because it is tied in with the cruise control and I thought that might cause the cruise control light to come on when the problem occurred. Steve

Reply to
sptuman

On My 94 Dakota there is a vacume pressure relief roll over valve located on top of the fuel pump module that is located in the fuel tank.Your mech should be able to isolate this if he thinks the pump is ok.If you need a fuel pump NAPA parts store sells the OEM pump module mfg by Carter for $ 160 vers $450 AT the dealer JW

Reply to
John

It could be the crank sensor not installed properly, But once again, if the shop has a scan tool that will pick up a secondary indicator they would be able to see what your problem is and fix it. Me personally, I think it is the crank sensor or crank sensor harness. Or the crank sensor was not installed correctly

Reply to
maxpower