98 dodge stratus problem still !!!!!!!!!!!

This has been an ongoing problem with my 98 dodge stratus for five months. This experience with this car proves to me why I never want to take my car to a mechanic unless it's absolutely necessary. Five weeks and two mechanics later, who were both highly recommended, my car still isn't right. This car has a brand new distributor, timing belt, water pump, EGR valve, PCV valve, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, oil and filter, coolant temp sensor and battery. The original problem started with what I was told was a bad fuel pump. Then after that was changed, it turned into a hard-starting, no power issue. The first mechanic told me he checked the catalytic converter, which he never did. He also said he did vacuum tests and changed the intake plenum gaskets, which he never did. And after two weeks in his shop, he told me it was either my computer, distributor, or timing belt.

Now on to the next mechanic. He had the car for three weeks. He said he did a leak-down cylinder test, compression test, checked the timing, put in an oxygen censor, and catalytic converter. $800 later, the car still runs terrible at first start-up ,and now the engine is noisier than I remember it to be. The catalytic converter made a difference, there's power getting to the car. When my daughter and I picked up the car, I noticed the engine was warm, so of course, it started fine and ran good all the way home. So they must have run the car just before I got there so I could get it out of their garage, and out of their hair .

Today when we tried to start it in our thirty degree temperatures, it will hardly idle, and I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running. Once the car warmed up, it seemed to run better and then we could shut it off and it started right up and idled fine. Do any of you knowledgeable people out there have any ideas where I can go look now? Perhaps the map sensor? IAC motor? Throttle position sensor, EGR valve? All of these, from what I've read and researched, could possibly be part of my problem. I know these can all be tested with a volt meter, which I know how to use. I will probably perform these tests over the weekend. All of these tests were supposed to have been done by both of these mechanics. There are NO codes coming up at all and forgive me if I'm coming off a bit harsh and bitter, but after this much time and money(around $1500), my daughter's car still isn't right. Thanks for any info or advice.

p.s. I know there are good, honest mechanics out there. I just haven't found one yet.

Reply to
Randy Pape

I asked you a number of months ago where you are located. You never answered.

The "wi.rr.com" in your from: header leads me to believe that you're in Wisconsin. Maybe not.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
Randy Pape

Do you want help finding someone who can fix it or not?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I tried to help a young woman with a car of similar vintage, but a Concorde. I dont know which engine you have but this one was an eyeopener and would prevent me from buying a Chrysler product for the foreseeable future.

She had taken it to the local dealership and they gave her a whole list of crap including a new computer. Turns out the whole diagnosis was bogus, and she needed new spark plug cables.

The point is you need a competent and honest mechanic.

I have had a lot of faith in the AAA recommended auto mechanic program. If you go to the AAA site, you may have to look a bit, but you should be able to find their list for your area. Check it out.

Reply to
HLS

forgive me for not being so optimistic but i think I'll go it alone from here on end. if i could have tested the cat myself i never would have taken it to a shop in the first place. it seems like some of these old timer type mechanics are not up to date, or really understand the sensors,switches etc. thanks for your replies and offer though :-)

Reply to
Randy Pape

so can't they do tests before replacing things? obviously they are using the shot gun approach and it is costing you a fortune. i have heard of getting a bad fuel pump straight from the factory.

Reply to
boxing

Reply to
Randy Pape

Dont know about this car but most cars air conditioning and heating diverters are vacuum operated.. A vacuum leak there could cause you some headaches.

Reply to
HLS

i think you're on the right track I'll have to check it out. my daughter has been driving it and it doesn't run too bad other than having the cold startup issue now. thanks

Reply to
Randy Pape

It's hard to say what's wrong now, given there is no telling with the incompetent mechancs did to it.

How many miles are on the car? When was the last time the MAF, IAC, or throttle body was cleaned? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Have you checked the coolant temperature sender?

Reply to
scott21230
140,00 miles on car the maf ,iac or throttle body have never been cleaned. they said they did vacuum tests on it ,but i swear i hear a leak coming from behind the heater controls panel. another fellow said i should take some seafoam cleaner and spray it into the intake directly and put the rest of the bottle into the gas tank,. another fellow said i should clean the IAC with carb cleaner,can the MAF sensor be cleaned also, it has a brand new coolant temp sensor? thanks for the help.

Reply to
Randy Pape