2000 Dodge Neon Help

One week ago I bought a 2000 Dodge Neon ES. It had a rebuilt engine in it, that had only 44,000 miles on it, and ran pretty good. The dealer supposely "fixed" the heater core, so it was good to go. It drove excellent for a week, until this last weekend it started having problems. On my way to work, my speed all of a sudden started decreasing, and when I tried to push the pedal to go, it had no power at all to it. The check engine light came on and I pulled over. The check engine light popped up with the code for a bad coil #1. ...It took a few tries of starting to get home, and my dad replaced the coil with a new one. Then, last night, he test drove the car to make sure it worked, and it started jerking back and forth again and lost all gas power to go. Plus, it almost overheated and was glowing red under the hood. We took it back to the dealer to have them look at it. But, what is wrong with this car and why is this all happening? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! THANKS

Reply to
Megan9302

Before you buy Carfax comes to mind. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
Megan9302 via CarKB.com

That was my point I would not have bought a vehicle with a socalled rebuilt/replacement motor especially if CARFAX had listed it as such and unless there was a warranty with all the paper work. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

carfax isn't very accurate........

best to have someone look at it.

Reply to
robs440

and none of this is helping this guy either.

It could be timing. it is back firing? Any codes? Check Engine light on?

Reply to
Abby Normal

Reply to
Megan9302 via CarKB.com

my guess is a wire issue, get hots, open ciruit,, goes dead, if it was a

95 or 97 , the ground wire to coil, cam and crank would go bad , go dead,, get it hot wiggle wire see if it cuts off, if the engine has been rebuilt,, the harness has been off
Reply to
bh--