2000 Grand Caravan 3.3L starter noise

Help please!!! When I turn the key all I hear is a fairly loud snapping noise coming from the engine compartment which I am assuming is coming from the starter. The battery is not dead or even low. It has been starting fine up to today. Actually it started fine several times this morning when it was driven into town. Then this afternoon my wife was going to use it and that is when it started making the snapping noise. I checked the battery and it was fine. No warning light or alarm of any kind as to what the problem is. Any ideas or help with diagnosing this would be most appreciated. Thanks! Steve

Reply to
Steve

More then likely the starter is bad.If you have someone hold the key to the start position while taking a hammer and tapping on the starter I bet it starts. If so replace the starter.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks! I tried this but it kept on snapping. But I already plan to replace the starter. Got a remanufactured one at Bumper to Bumper for about $100. Hope it's not too bad of a job to change myself!?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

naa not bad at all if you like laying on the ground

Glenn

Reply to
damnnickname

Hey Glenn,

Well I changed the starter. Good thing I have fairly small hands and nimble fingers! It went ok. Guess what? It still did the same loud clicking noise I had with the old starter!?### What the heck? I had checked the battery before and it seemed ok.... I mean the lights came on, the radio played, the fan worked.... And it showed about 80% on my battery meter! My old Ford truck would have started with it....! So in desparation I decided to jump the battery with another I had and walla! It started. Does the starter on this vehicle require a fully charged battery to operate? If so, I guess I should be carrying along a spare battery! Any other thoughts on this would again be welcomed and appreciated! I suppose my alternator is in question now???? Anyway, I don't know how long a starter is actually good for but now I should be a little better off with a new one.

Thanks! Steve

Reply to
Steve

If you tested the battery with a bad connection it could have showed a good battery at the time you tested it and possibly made a good contact. Any starter is going to need a good strong battery to start the vehicle.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

I'm thinking there might be a bad area on the battery post that could have made a weak connection to the starter??? Although there was absolutely no corrosion visible??? I bought the vehicle a couple years ago and have had prety good luck with it. Just got back from a

2500 mile trip up into the Rockies with no problem. I'm pretty sure the battery was original also so not complaining about having to buy a new battery if need be either. I have it on the charger at 2 amp rate to see if it will take and hold a full charge. I consider this great mechanical experience at the very least!

Thanks for your replies! Steve

Reply to
Steve

anytime