2003 Dodge Neon - spits and sputters

When I start the neon the motor revs up to about 4000 rpms then slows down to about 2000 then starts to spit and sputter, when you push the break pedal it is like when the vehicle is shut off, (like there is no vacuum) and within just a few minutes the catalytic converter will glow red. any ideas

Reply to
tibbsmn

Sounds like you need to replace the converter. At least, make sure something isn't inside blocking your exhaust pipe.

Larry Behold Beware Believe

Reply to
Larry Crites

you mention nothing about the check engine lite on. With this kind of a problem there should be a fault code stored. Possibly cyl missfire code, huge vacuum leak or a faulty catylitic convertor.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

The check engine light is on

"damnnickname" wrote: > you mention nothing about the check engine lite on. With this > kind of a > problem there should be a fault code stored. Possibly cyl > missfire code, > huge vacuum leak or a faulty catylitic convertor. > > Glenn Beasley > Chrysler Tech

Reply to
tibbsmn

just a wild fortune telling guess, and nothing to base it on but past experience of one time similar experience, but I bet the code is a: P401 or P403 or something in the EGR area.

Reply to
Abby Normal

Then find out what code it is!!

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech