dodge caravan towing capacity

says the towing capacity for 2007 grand caravans is 1800 pounds, yet I've seen dealer ads for caravans indicating the maximum is 3800 pounds. Anyone have any idea how can I find out which one is the accurate one?.

Reply to
Bob Mitchell

"Bob Mitchell" wrote in news:gcKdnRzJCJ07KtvYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@wideopenwest.com:

I cannot speak to current models, but previously without factory tow packages (and the upgrades entailed), a Grand Caravan was rated at 2000 lbs. With the factory tow package the rating was up to 3800 lbs. (prior to 2002 the max was 3500 lbs.).

Also note, these ratings include passengers/cargo/fluids/etc. So 20 gallons of fuel, driver, passsenger and a 50 lb suitcase would leave a max tow capacity of around 3100 lbs; then also assume you only want to load up to 75% of the rating to increase safety.

I pull a 1700 lb trailer with electric brakes and it handles well; part of my normal route is a very long 14% grade which the combo DOES NOT handle well. The transmission and V6 (3.8L) do not have enough resistance to hold the combo from gathering speed. If I am not careful the brakes will overheat and fade out before I reach bottom.

I previously pulled a 2400 lb trailer with my 1997 GC... and well let's just say i don't have that van anymore.

Reply to
Steph