2004 Dodge Ram 1500 starting problem

Sounds like a bad ground or a bad battery connection to me. Instead of stepping on the brake, what happens if he turns on the headlights??? A low load can make the connection, allowing the heavy starter load to connect.

Reply to
clare

Guy asked me if I knew anything about this.

He has a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500, was starting normally, then one time he got in and turned the key, no warning lights or gauges, nothing happened. He waited a few seconds and then the gauges jumped and the truck started.

It is now doing this more often than not, but no he has also noticed that if he gets in, puts his foot on the brake and starts it, it starts right up, and then shuts down when he takes his foot off the brake.

The Dodge dealer said "It's probably the electrical control" for $600 plus

2 hours labor.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Why didn't I think of that? Yeah.

He did mention something funky with the headlights. I had a ground problem with a Toyota and it did weird things!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Sounds like a problem with the ground.

First make sure the battery terminals are clean and well seated.

I'd recommend using a set jumper cables make a second run to either/both the chassis and the engine block.

If that does not work the problem is still likely one of an intermittent ground but it's in a place that will take some work to find.

Reply to
NotMe

Follow up. I passed the ground issue along to the guy, but he couldn't tighten anything so he shot them all w/PB Blaster, and says the truck is starting a bit more normally now. I asked about the ground at the starter, but he can't get to it because of his back, and is hoping to get it on a lift soon.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

If the starter is bolted to block it's unlike a ground problem at the starter. I would take one half of a jumper set and jump for a good place on the block to the negative terminal of the battery.

If that's the problem you 'can' do it right and run a ground to the starter or take the easy way out and jump from the native terminal to the block. I did that with one of my daughter's friends dodge ram in the early 2000 and except for replacement batteries it still ticking.

Reply to
NotMe

Interesting. It certainly resolves the issue of a bad ground!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B