87 charger 2.2 trouble...

Hi, my name is Pat. I own a 87' dodge charger 2.2. About 800 miles ago, I rebuilt the carb but then the other day it started acting funky. What's happening is the engine will start and run at fast idle, but when it trys to go down to normal idle, it stalls. The engine won't run below 1500 rpm. I was thinking poor fuel delivery, possibly a clogged fuel filter. So I replaced both fuel filters and the problem persists. So I thought, maybe some sediment got through the filters and got lodged somewhere in the carb. So I took the air horn off and cleaned out all of the jets and holes and stuff. Still not working. So, I have no clue. The only ideas I have now are that the fuel pump is getting old and the fuel psi is low or that the solenoid getting old and cutting out the spark. So that's my story, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

Reply to
Pat

check your EGR valve. when the engine is running spray some carb cleaner around the EGR valve and see if the rpm change.If it does there is a good chance that the EGR valve is leaking and needs to be replaced

Reply to
JED

"Pat" wrote

None of that sounds like fuel problems, to me.

Two thoughts. Have ALL the vacuum hoses been replaced? If not, go estimate what how much of each size you need, and go get some hose, and replace them all, one hose at a time. Don't unhook a mess of them all at once, or you might have a problem getting them back in place.

Also, check the throttle position sensor. To do that, read the repair book, or you can get a rough idea of if it is working by measuring the resistance, and a smooth change in resistance as the arm of the sensor is moved slowly from one extreme to the other.

Reply to
Morgans

Thanks for all the help so far. I just replaced the entire vacuum tube system and it seemed to help at first, however the prob. still persists. I unplugged the egr and put a vacuum to the hose running to it. It isn't leaking and i can feel it open and close. But thanks again for the help... I guess Ill keep at it.

Reply to
Pat