91 caravan starting problems

I have a 91 caravan,it was fine,now it won't start. pulled starter had it tested was told it was bad so I replaced it. Car still won't start. Battery is fine.Can anyone help me not sure what to do next..

Reply to
sbhundley

Does it make any clicking noises when you try to start it, or not?

Reply to
Dan C

no all I hear is the fuel pump I think..thanks

Reply to
sbhundley

Sounds like you have a starter solenoid problem.

Reply to
Dan C

When the starter went out in my 92 you couldn't hear the starter clicking at all. Once it was towed to the shop and I messed with it a minute more I could just barely hear it trying to click and then only sometimes.

I have also had a problem with my several times where I pulled up too close to a parking bumper stopper thing (whatever you call them!) and it nudged a plug out of the transmission. With that unplugged, it wouldn't even try to turn over. Something simple you might check if you haven't already...

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

the silonoid was part of the starter that I just changed. Some one told me to try the starter relay so I ordered one will be in tues.Has anyone ever heard of this before?? thanks

Reply to
sbhundley

Yes I've seen that before (not on any of my Dodges, though). You should be able to pull the relay and check its proper operation using an Ohmmeter.

Something else to check for, especially if you're doing all the work yourself, is cable connections. I've seen several times where an electrical system *seemed* fine, i.e. the radio works ;-) but there wasn't enough juice to power the starter. Usually the problem would be traced to a frayed or under-torqued negative cable; however in a Saturn I recently parted with, the positive battery cable was corroding (inside its protective cover), and the symptom was, trying to start the car resulted in the whole electrical system "shutting down," as if the battery suddenly died.

Removing the corrosion & retorquing the positive fixed the problem... temporarily! I advised the new owner that the cable should be replaced *real soon*!

Reply to
just another

As far as checking the relay with an ohmeter: my radiator fan wouldn't kick on and I tested the fan relay with an ohmeter and it had good continuty, but it wouldn't energize the fan, I finally replaced it and it worked ok. I think a relay can show continuity but still not have the capacity to handle the high power required to run a motor. That was my experience, anyway. Just my 2=E7.

Reply to
James Goforth

Well guys I changed the relay..didn't work, I also tried jumping it still nothing, I am going to climb under and look for that plug on the tranny. I am now at a loss don't know what else to do.Thanks for all your help. sherry

Reply to
sbhundley

If you look from the front towards the back of the vehicle it will be staring you in the face. Down kinda low, 5 or 6-pins or so, round... Been a few years since it popped out on me, so memory is a little vague...

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley