91 Dodge Caravan Intermittent Instrument Cluster

91 Dodge Caravan Intermittent Instrument Cluster

Due to intermittent failures of the instrument cluster, my wife took into one of the local garages while I was out of province last year. Said garage replaced instrument cluster with a used one. Worked for a bit and then started acting up again. Same story next time she took it in. Wife said it seem to be worse in wet weather (though I have personally seen it die during this hot last summer). The unit now displays absolutely nothing except for a couple of momentary lights while starting the vehicle and "Check gauges" constantly on while operating the vehicle.

My Chilton's points to a defective instrument cluster voltage regulator, poor ground etc.

Seems Google only returns hits for such a voltage regulator up to '89; can anyone confirm this?

If indeed, the '91's have a voltage regulator, information as to where it's located on the vehicle would be appreciated.

Any tips regarding tracing, identifying possibly intermittent connectors and/or ground connections would also be appreciated.

Thanks! :-)

Reply to
propman