access instrument cluster connector & speedo sensor troubleshooting

Here is some good directions to troubleshoot speed sensor... but how is instrument cluster connector accessed?

A. Disconnect the speed sensor connector.

B. Connect a voltmeter between the black wire pin of the connector and ground.

C. Turn ignition key to the RUN position.

D. If the voltage reading is not approximately 5 volts, turn ignition key OFF, then check for continuity between the speed sensor connector and terminal 13 of the instrument cluster connector.

E. If continuity exists, replace the speedometer. If no continuity exists, repair the open circuit.

Reply to
updawaz00

First off what are you trying to fix?

Second, no one here is a mind reader or knows you so we have no clue what you are driving. (let alone lots of us do own more than one type of Jeep)

And third if it is a YJ you are talking about, why don't you just pull the codes and see what the computer 'thinks' is wrong?

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

First off what are you trying to fix?

[ Speedometer in this instance... but also stalling problem in neutral After talking to someone you basically have three wires going to sensor 5V source input (black), Gnd, and 5V output to Speedometer / Odometer gauge. If there is not 5V input then it is probably the wiring or gauge, if there is 5V in , probably sensor, but If it is not the sensor, I'm not sure how to access cluster connector]

Second, no one here is a mind reader or knows you so we have no clue what you are driving. (let alone lots of us do own more than one type of Jeep) [ YJ, 1992 Wrangler 4.0L ]

And third if it is a YJ you are talking about, why don't you just pull the codes and see what the computer 'thinks' is wrong? [ No experience with reading code... I't sounds like a great troubleshooting tool, do you need a reading device and where do you access the port for connection ? Where do I buy one or do I have to take it to a shop?] Thanks

Reply to
updawaz00

I found on eof your posts ... I see they sell "OBD code readers" , I can purchase one for about $30. Where do you access the cpu port with the reader on a 92 wrangler?

Thanks

Reply to
updawaz00

Well, stalling in neutral is because you have the speed sensor disconnected.

If you reconnect it and it stops stalling, the sensor is likely working.

The sensor generates it's own pulses. Just spin it by hand with a meter on it. 8 pulses per revolution off pin 1 and 2 likely.

'What' is the speedometer doing or not doing anyway?

To pull the codes, you need to hook everything back up and drive it for a bit.

Then stop, rev it ti 2500 and let it down to idle and cycle everything like the AC and if an automatic all the gears.

Then shut it down and turn the key on, off, on, off, on and count the flashes on the dash light. It will flash a sequence, then pause, then flash again. The final flash will be a 5 and a 5 or code 55 that means no more codes.

If you get a code 15, the speed sensor or it's circuit is bad.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

{ OR THE SENSOR IS NOT WORKING CONNECTED}

{GENERATES A MAGNETIC FIELD TO PRODUCE PULSES, BUT IT STILL NEEDS A 5 VOLT SOURCE FED BY THE CONNECTOR CABLE}

everything

SAME DEAL BY DOING MANUALLY WITH A METER. TO BACK UP WHAT THE OBS IS SHOWING, GO AHEAD AND CHECK TO SEE IF 5 VOLTS ARE PRESENT FROM THE CABLE. YES: SENSOR BAD OR GROUND WIRE NOT CONNECTED. NO: 5V SHORTED OR BAD CONNECTION AT THE MULTICONNECTOR.

Odometer

Reply to
josh00

Right, now I remember that hall sensor has to be plugged in to test it just switches the power to pulses. A hand turn should give the pulses though, same as a distributor one.

If the ground tag is bad, that is likely a stud on the rear passenger side of the block with a bunch of small black wires on it. The YJ has one more ground tag on the e-brake frame, but that one usually kills the fuel pump.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain