My 1988 New Yorker 3.0 had a similar problem - the differential "pinion" or carrier bearing apparently went bad. It got noisy. Then the shifting got erratic - with delayed engagement. A fluid change with conditioner helped for a while, but it continued to get worse. I started looking for a replacement tranny. Mine was a 3 speed. The wreckers wanted over $800 for a tranny with 200,000 km on it. I finally found a very low mileage tranny from a late model spirit

3.0, and I snagged it for $300. two years later I started getting suspension noise and steering rack problems - so I sold it with 242,000 km on it. I'm now facing the question with my '94 TransSport. It has 340,000km plus on it now - new engine went in at 275, rebuilt tranny at 295,000. The driver's floor is weak - fibreglassed a few holes last month - and inner rocker panel is also perforated. I'll continue to drive it for the winter for sure - will likely patch the rocker - but the next indication of "major" repair requirements will get me looking for another vehicle. We have 2 vehicles, so if and when it dies, I'm not totally stuck, but I prefer to be able to buy a vehile on "my terms", not when my old one dictates.
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Go to KBB and look up the value. I know for a '92 Ply Grand Voyager with AWD and 127,000 the value is $1,830 in fair shape, $2,500 excellent. Which means I couls sell it as is for about $400. The difference from $400-1830 is $1400. So, I COULD dump $1,400 into it and have it where it should be, but then it would be in Good condition, which would be $2,245. Should I do it? Nah...I bought a Mazda for $150 and put $500 into it. The car is worth $680 in fair shape, but I would say after the work it is in Good condition, which is $1035. So, I'm ahead of the game, and the van would have been too much for me. Needs an engine, ABS controller, doors and suspension work. Too bad, I REALLY liked the van.

So, weigh it out and see what you get. If the body is in good shape and doesn't need anything and isn't rusting and the thing is worth it to you, then go to a boneyard and try to get a good tranny.

If you had a 3.3 liter I'd sell you my tranny...it's the only GOOD thing on the van!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
corey-darla

Reply to
corey-darla

Will you be looking for a new car or another used vehicle?

Try to buy a used car off the lot for $1,900. You replace cars when they are crunched in an accident, not when the need wear repairs.

Reply to
Usual Suspect