99' Intrepid occassional exhaust smoke

While waiting at red lights sometimes when I take off there will be a small ( sometimes big ) puff of black smoke, sometimes none. I have had a few different reasons & prices quoted, and wonder if I should just trade it in or if it's worth keeping and repairing. It has 88,000 miles, and is otherwise in great condition. Any ideas about a reasonable cost on repair?

Reply to
koni

"Black" smoke would usually be an indication of too much fuel, or "rich", condition, and/or lack of sufficient air, such as on old carburetor engines when the choke wouldn't open.

Larry Behold Beware Believe

Reply to
Larry Crites

Could be a sensor problem. Go to an AutoZone store and have them run the codes and see what comes up. It's a free service.

Bill '01 Intrepid RT '04 Intrepid Custom

Reply to
midnightbluert

just curious..............how's your air filter?

Reply to
rob