93 cobra just might be sold... :' (

well my cobra I posted a week or so ago may just be sold tonight. A guy is seeking bank financing and if that doesn't pan out, he will have his
brother's money. I know you are all kicking me in the a$$ I miss it already and it is still in my garage. Basically, the reason I am selling is that I am starting to get nervous about replacement parts. It's over 10 years old and my local Ford dealer doesn't carry parts anymore.. I had to replace the tail lense only and it cost me $200. My thought is to sit a few years without one and then buy a used 2003.. I'll nearly double the horsepower, right ?
dave
Dave,
I have an '84 Stang " charlene" and parts are not all that hard to come by, but if you feel that it would be in your best interest to get rid of her...then by all means do so. But I DO GUARANTEE you that within a few weeks you will be going nuts and then you will start contemplating your decision...........you are alot stronger than I if you do sell. I could not, nor I would not sell "charlene"....and I have a baby on the way!!!!!
Good luck Bro
Rick
--
1984 Gt..."first time Owner/Mechanic, trying his best"....soon to be daddy!

"Dave" < snipped-for-privacy@dor.state.wi.usREMOVETHIS> wrote in message

http://www.fordparts.com http://www.fordpartsonline.com
Just a couple that appear from a google search on 'ford parts'. Of course, you could always trade that 93 in for an '03-'04. :)
Kevin

is
selling is

'93 Snake lenses are a little pricey.
-- Paul Black '93 Cobra #2214 Borla Catback, Pro 5.0, K&N, 3.73 Bassani X-pipe w/cats, Jet-hot BBK shorties, Steeda subframe connectors

Hey Dave, word of advice.. either get a 5.0 or jump over to the '03.
more 'mod-ability'
Kate
| > > Dave wrote: | > > > well my cobra I posted a week or so ago may just be sold tonight. A | guy | > is | > > > seeking bank financing and if that doesn't pan out, he will have his | > > > brother's money. I know you are all kicking me in the a$$ I miss | it | > > > already and it is still in my garage. Basically, the reason I am | > selling is | > > > that I am starting to get nervous about replacement parts. It's over | 10 | > > > years old and my local Ford dealer doesn't carry parts anymore.. I had | > to | > > > replace the tail lense only and it cost me $200. My thought is to | sit | > a | > > > few years without one and then buy a used 2003.. I'll nearly double | the | > > > horsepower, right ? | > > > | > > > dave | > > > | > > > | > > | > > | > > Say what??? All the local dealers here can get most anything I | > > want for my 89 and I just bought two tail light lenses from 50 Resto | > > for, I think it was $109 each. | > | > '93 Snake lenses are a little pricey. | > | > -- | > Paul | > Black '93 Cobra #2214 | > Borla Catback, Pro 5.0, K&N, 3.73 | > Bassani X-pipe w/cats, Jet-hot BBK | > shorties, Steeda subframe connectors | > | > | > > | > | > | |

his
miss
double

I second that. '93 Cobras in good condition are great. I'd like to have one to compliment my '97 Cobra, but I'm not quite that rich. ;-) Unless the OP wants an '88 5.0 5-speed LX notchback with 73k miles and no options, plus a beat up '89 Probe GT Turbo 5-speed as an even swap....
JS

JS,
Tell me more about your LX. Where do you live? FYI - My Cobra now has about 78,000.
Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

have
Unless
options,
Considering the length of this reply, I'm sure you could guess I'm interested. ;-)
Stone stock save for Flowmaster 2-chamber cat back (because I had it laying around) and a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter ( because I like my Cobra's so much). 73,100 miles, purchased from the original owner, a professor of physics at the University of Virginia. Car is a Virginia car and has been until a few months ago. Fixed a charging issue which turned out to be a bad ground. Needs a coolant temp sensor. Was just tuned up with Autolite plugs, Motorcraft wires, PCV valve, Castrol GTX oil + Motorcraft filter, fuel filter, Bosch oxygen sensors. The paper air filter looked brand new. I removed the air silencer and bumped the timing up to about 14 degrees.
The paint is peeling and there's a dent in the fender and the bumper cover has a couple of holes in it. I have a spare bumper cover and fender, but they're black and the car's blue.
The car has been repainted once due to delamination of the clear coat, and it's happening again.
Underneath, the body is very clean. Probably shinier than the topside.
It does leak a small amout of oil but I'm not sure from where. It was leaking ATF from the T-5 but it was a shifter seal problem from the factory that I've since remedied with the Tri-Ax.
It came from the factory devoid of power windows, power locks, power mirrors (didn't even know that was an option), tilt wheel, and radio. A radio's since been added. The A/C was converted to 134a and still functions.
The interior is in good shape. Right now it's housing some '84-'86 GT seats but they aren't mine, so I don't think they can go with the car.
The clutch is original and catches *very* low... low enough to sometimes make shifting a pain. It's also one of the stiffest clutches I've driven in quite some time.
Runs very strong considering the 2.73 rear end killer. The traction-loc still works as it wants to break the tires loose fairly easily. I have a harder time keeping the back end of this thing on the ground than my '97 snake.
I have a set of Saleen bolt/weld on subframe connectors that will fit the car, but not yet installed.
Just installed new headlight lenses, but I broke one of the outer ledges of the one, and one of the headlights already dropped the reflector inside the lens. Wonderful 5.0 resto pieces.
I realize that even the car + the Probe isn't worth an even swap for a '93 Cobra... but if someone's interested, lol.. always willing to deal. I'll even throw in a functional '85 Mustang GT with a good chassis, 75,000 original miles and an very sweet (though oddly colored Sand Beige) interior. CFI/AOD w/ sunroof, non-functional A/C, manual windows + locks, tilt, cruise, new hood sticker in Ford box, '87 GT wing available w/o brakelight. I have other parts available as well... Trick Flow Track Heat upper + lower for a 302, with 70MM Edelbrock/BBK TB and EGR spacer (Track Heat intake port is 75mm), BBK adjustable fuel pressure regulator with valve (will not fit stock intake setup)
The Probe's beat up, but it runs. Currently it needs back brakes, and I don't know *when* it had a timing belt, if ever, so at 118,000 miles, it needs one. The shifter is a short-throw and it needs lubricated something fierce because after a few shifts it stiffens up so bad that it's nearly impossible to shift. The turbo still spools up just fine. It's been banged up a few times, the paint's kinda dull, and the interior is red, but it's mostly there. Fun little car to drive and goes well in snow. More chassis rigidity and better handling than any Fox I've ever driven, and both the LX and GT have *very* stiff suspension. Cross railroad tracks and speed bumps at your own caution.
If you (or anyone else you know with a Cobra in good condition) are interested in a trade, I'd be interested. I don't have much cash to throw around though, so it would have to be mostly parts and cars.
I live 20 miles NE of Pittsburgh, PA, but I'm not opposed to travelling. Then again, transporting three cars somewhere could be interesting.
JS

It has air conditioning though. I really don't care for A/C. It's interesting that the car is from VA. That's where I bought my old no-option LX back in '87. I bought it at Williamsburg Ford. Special ordered it, actually.
I don't know... I'd have to see/touch/drive the car. PA is a bit of the hike from Florida, or vise versa. If your car was only and hour or so away, I'd go and look at it, and we'd talk. But as it is, I know my Cobra. I'd hate to arrange a meeting and then have the deal fall through. You know what I mean?
Right now, the Cobra only needs a brake job. I just deal with the crappy power leather seats, power windows/locks, and the lump weight under the hood they call an A/C unit. The only other annoyances it has is the sunroof and the ground effects. But other than that, it's a great car. It runs hard and has some serious stick in the corners. I'll probably hold onto it for a while, unless something realy interesting comes along that I just have to have. But in a few years I'll get serious about finding something newer. There's lot of neat cars being built now and in the next few years.
Patrick '93 Cobra

removing the "nospam."
JS

the
only
rain
He's talking about his notchback. We understand what the car is.

See, I have a '97 Cobra and it's relatively stock (save for the wheels and shifter).. but I'm kinda torn about what to do with it. I'd like to modify the suspension to handle better. I have subframe connectors slated to be welded on to improve chassis rigidity. I have some racing seats that are either going in there or in the LX. I don't much care for the stock Cobra seats.
How far do I go with modifying this car? If I'm going to keep it forever, does it matter? If I'm going to sell it, should I just do things to it that can be redone (i.e. - not put in a roll cage). I'd like the car to handle better. I want my LX to be the fast-in-a-straight-line car, and the Cobra to be the fast-in-the-twisties car. If I could acquire the '93 Cobra, I'd need another fast-in-a-straight-line car, but it's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make.
I personally think that the car is what it is, but you might as well make the car the way you like it. The '97 Cobra is a fine car, and it will probably be worth some money (maybe not quite what the '93 will), but why not make it do what I want it to do?
JS
I was really disappointed when I started researching a supercharger on mine.
[...]
paul-1993 wrote:

I believe they are the same as 85-86 lenses, $80 each in my catalog.

More pricey than a set of 87-93 LX lenses.