Neil

On a 3.0 liter Mitsushitty engine a tick GENERALLY means bad valve guides. Usually also means you are using a bit of oil between changes? The oil will kill the catalytic converter eventually - then you will start to see the blue smoke.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

The noise you are hearing is a worn lash adjuster/lifter. you can replace the effected ones and the problem will be gone.The 3.0 had valve guide problems that would cause oil burning and smoke especially at idle. If you have this problem you may want to repair them and replace the adjusters all at the same time.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Interesting...I hit "reply group", and cleared the message and subject rather than doing a new post (bad habit from replying to a Yahoo Groups post to avoid having to dig up the group address). Didn't think for a second about it adding to your old thread since I hadn't kept any of the text! Guess I just learned something new about usenet...

Thanks,

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

Can't be too bad if I've gotten 191k out of it!? And no, not using a noticeable amount of oil between 3k mile changes.

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

Glenn,

Thanks for the info. Is that a pretty major repair? Is it something likely to cause worse problems if I just leave it alone? Just wondering what the implications are. As for the valve guide and smoking issue, I thought I read somewhere they had corrected that problem by the 90 or 91 model year? Thus far, I've never had a problem with smoking or oil usage. The ticking has been intermittent for a good while...

Isuzu had problems (if you can call it that, not sure if you would consider it a true problem, or just a nuisance?) with their 3.2 v6's - lifters ticking. They had a service bulletin out about running it for a while on

0w30 synthetic to flush things out and settle them back down. Perhaps something like that would help? But then, I've also heard that changing a high-mileage engine over to synthetic will cause no end of problems due to gunk getting flushed out? Any truth to that?

I just looked back on what was done when it blew a head gasket at

162k...looks like valve stem seals was the only internal thing. They also replaced the timing belt and timing belt tensioner.

Thanks!

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

That is interesting. I guess you're posting through a web page, like Google Groups? I prefer using a newsreader. I use Outlook Express and like it a lot. Have the groups I'm subscribed to on the left. And when I'm in one of them reading messages and create a new post, it automatically addresses it to the group I'm in. Very easy.

Glad you got some replies anyway! The guys in this forum are great (and gals too :-) ).

Neil

Reply to
Neil

No...I'm using Outlook Express. I figured a reply post with blank info would be the same as typing in the group name and starting from scratch. Apparently not... Yes, good to get some info. Was hoping for another reply or 2...but oh well...I'll take what I can get. :-) Yes, definitely a great and helpful group.

Thanks,

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

Well, if you're in Outlook Express, then just click the Write Message button at the top (or select New Message from the Message menu). Outlook Express will automatically address it to whatever group you're in, so you don't have to type in the group name.

Also, while in the new message, you can click Newsgroups to the left of where newsgroup address is (becomes a button when you put the mouse over the word "Newsgroups"), and you can select one or more newsgroups from the ones you're subscribed to.

So you should never have to remember or type a newsgroup address again.

Reply to
Neil