Re: Need New PCM?

Glenn Rules!!

Here's an update. Car got to the dealer Friday night, but didn't hear back > from them Saturday or today. So I called them just now. Guy says, "Your > car's ready." I said, "What? What was wrong with it?" He says, "Main > computer. It's all ready to go." I said, "Do I owe you anything?" He says, > "Nope. Covered under warranty." So that was easy. > > So, once again I need to thank you. If you hadn't told me about the 8/80 > warranty I'd be trying to scrounge together the $1,000 to get it fixed or > just have my car sit unrepaired. So, thanks again! > > Neil > >>> I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan SE with a little under 50,000 miles on it. >> Last >>> night I was driving it and it was fine. After parking the car, the car >>> wouldn't start again. Had it towed to the shop, and this morning the >>> shop >>> tells me that the PCM has gone out on the car, and they need to replace >> the >>> PCM. $1,000. >>> >>> They said they were able to start the car after trying it for 5 minutes >> with >>> the key; but then it died when they went around the block. They said >> there's >>> no power coming out of the PCM, and they checked everything else >>> (starter, >>> fuel line, etc.). >>> >>> My question is: is there anything else that might be causing the PCM to >> act >>> this way? It just seems strange that the car only has 50,000 miles on >>> it, >>> and the PCM just "died." Does anyone have any ideas about what might be >>> going on besides just that "the PCM is dead"? >>> >>> Thanks for any assistance! >>> >>> Neil >>> >>> >> Well Neil, That independent shop is trying to take your money. Assuming >> it >> is a PCM problem and this Vehicle has under 80k miles..... we know it >> isn't >> 8 years old yet. That part is covered under the 8/80 Federal Emissions >> Law. >> The independent shop knows this and should have instructed you to take it >> to >> the dealer. If the shop is just guessing at it and it is not a bad PCM >> the >> dealer will charge you a diagnostic fee to tell you what is wrong with >> your >> vehicle. Just curious, were they able to communicate with the PCM thru >> there scan tool? If so what were the codes.... Always get the fault codes >> documented on the RO >> >> Glenn Beasley >> Chrysler Tech >> >> > >
Reply to
Abby.Normal

Indeed!

N BTW, Abby.Normal, since you're obviously a fan of Young Frankenstein, did you know that it's coming to Broadway this year?....

Reply to
Neil

too far to travel from Texas but I would like to see it.

Reply to
Abby.Normal

Yeah, you and me both (in Texas). But I'm sure it'll travel eventually.

Reply to
Neil