2007 X3 3.0 Engine Tick

I have a 2007 X3 3.0 that developed a loud ticking noise within about

2~3 months after I picked it up. It is now about 10-months old/15K miles. It is real random when it will act up.

It happens almost as much when it is at operating temperature as it will when it is cold. I have driven on long trips and it will start with the ticking midway thru the drive and stop by the time I park. Then it will start making noise the next morning and then stop again. After the first oil change last week it was real loud. But unfortunately, my wife picked up the car and by the time I drove back to the dealership it quieted back down again.

I have taken it to the dealership several time but like most cars and computers it never acts up when around guys who will fix it.

This is getting real irritating for me and the shop.

This is not the normal valve/lifter sound sound the engine makes but a very noticeable ticking sound. Almost like a old style Chevrolet hydraulic lifter that had failed.

Another X3 owner I talked to said it was a known 3 liter engine problem, but the dealer denied it.

Anyone else run into the same problem?

Reply to
Mike

It's broken. It must be under guarantee. Just record it when it next happens (on your phone or whatever) to provide proof to the dealer. It's their problem, they then have to fix it (even if that means a new engine)

Reply to
IB

Are there any TSBs for this model. I would certainly write BMW about the problem given your dealer's reluctance to give you satisfaction.

Reply to
tww1491