TICKING SOUND WHEN ENGINE IS COLD ON 2000 DODGE CARAVAN.

i HAVE 2000 DODGE CARAVAN WITH 10000 MILES ON IT,WHEN ITS COLD IT HAS LOUD TICKING SOUND,SOUND LIKE ITS LIFTS SOMEBODY TOLD ME ITS THE INJECTORS!!ITS A

3.0 ENGINE SHOULD I GET IT SERVICED ARE THE VALVES AJUSTABLE????THANKS
Reply to
chad

I dunno how this got in this newsgroup, but it does sound like the hydraulic lifters could be slow to pump up. SOMETIMES, using a 'mechanic in a can'-type fix in the oil can help. best thing is to have a mechanic examine the car. And double check your oil level and use of proper viscosity oil.

I dunno

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

If the tick gets louder with more throttle, it is almost certainly an exhaust leak probably caused by broken exhaust manifold stud (inspect the nuts on the exhaust manifold to see if one is missing). If the ticking stays the same intensity and just goes away, try an engine flush. That should only occur if the oil changes were neglected at some point. I am curious - a 2000 MY vehicle with 10K miles?

IIRC this was posted earlier but without the SHOUTING.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I had a 91 Stealth that ticked when it was cold...it was the lifters. It was suggested on Team 3S to change your oil, run it for a few days, and then change it again. It helped on my Stealth, but it didn't completely go away. If you only have 10k, are you still under warranty? If it is, I would take it to the dealer.

Reply to
Carol

Makes me think this car gets only short trips. That COULD lead to sludging problems I guess. That is also considered 'extreme' use by many auto manufacturers. The emissions system never stays warmed up long so the car has a greater % of time in a 'rich' condition, water/fuel blowby condenses in the oil and never gets completely driven out by heat,etc. I would try an the engine flush as you say, switch to a synthetic oil, maybe 'hotter' spark plugs, definitly pay attention to the CALENDER maintanence schedule instead of the mileage schedule.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

opps misprint it has 100000miles on it......!!!no warrranty

Reply to
chad via CarKB.com

I did some Googling and found that not only does the 3.0 have hydraulic lifters, they are particularly prone to this sort of thing. (That explains Carol's experience, too!) The flush and synthetic sounds like the way to go.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

The advice still applies (except for the hotter plugs!) but now we are taliking about the possibilty the lifters may never pump up. Give it a shot, this is one area where it's well worth the try.

Um - did this occur very suddenly? You mave low oil pressure or some other issue going on.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

replying to chad via CarKB.com, red wrote: My 2000 dodge caravan was ticking when cold. I pulled front valve cover and the holes in the botem of the motor was stopped up. close hanger unstopped it. I put black gasket glue and put it back on and no more ticking.

Reply to
red

Inadequate maintenance - either not enough oil changes or substandard oil or both.

Reply to
clare