Fuses blowing 98 Caravan

One more problem with my 98 Caravan that perplexes me (actually a few, but I'll keep it to one problem per post).

I never had any trouble with plugging stuff into the "cigarette lighter" outlet until the last couple of months. I have a small compressor to put air in the tires, one of those tiny ones you get at the discount store for $10 or $15. Used to be no problem, now it keeps blowing the 20A fuse is the bank of fuses, etc, under the hood, I also tried my laptop using a small 125 or 150W power inverter, and that blows the fuse. The laptop itseld is only rated something like 75W. I realize that I can get the outlet direct wired to the battery with a fuse, but concerned about what's making these blow in the first place. It says it takes a 20A fuse, and I been thru a bunch of them already. My radar detector works fine in the outlet. Just the other stuff blows the fuse now. Thanks much.

Reply to
dke3591

My son has a 98 Plymouth Voyager (same vehicle) with the same problem. We even put in a 25 amp fuse from another place, just to try finishing the tire fill-up, and even the 25 blew. I'm thinking that maybe the cigarette lighter/accessory circuit has a worn spot on the wire, making it effectively a thinner gage, which would cause the circuit to draw harder...

Reply to
Ron Seiden

Thanks, I'll look at that as a possibility.

Reply to
dke3591

Hi!

These things pull a fair amount of power. That said, you might pull the lighter socket assembly out and look for signs of corrosion or pitting on the contacts. Even if it is fused for more, 10 amps seems to be the most you can safely pull from the average lighter socket. Any more than that and they tend to get warm, if not hot inside.

From there you could simply replace the socket or attempt to clean it. Also check to be sure that the wiring going to it is making good solid contact.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh